CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

VMware Infrastructure Client app

Codeweaver guys - get this one app running and you'll kill it in the enterprise area for sure! Right now, the vmware folks are freaks about running all their client side administration tools (GUI) on windoze. However, it turns out that around 80% of all partner SE's are now running around with shinny new Macbooks. The tech guys have to force fit this app onto a vmware instance of windoze to demo and manage their vmware infrastructure but all are clammoring for being able to run it native on OS-X. Any help to get this running would be greatly appreciated.

Hey folks, I was able to get VMware Infrastructure Client.app to build into a bottle (using XP bottle) and it's actually looking like it's running quite well with the exception of 2 things... the VMware graphics don't seem to be found correctly - I get an X windows error - "Not implemented." over the graphic area and a red X (not a real biggie - but there is some good info in the gif files, such as version, etc...)

And when I try my credentials to log into an ESX or ESXi server, I am getting the error ["VMware Infrastructure Client could not establish the initial connection with server"192.168.1.218". - Details: A communication error occrred receiving data from the server.]

the IP address of my ESXi host is indeed - 192.168.1.218

And, I am able to open up Windoze XP running on Fusion on my Mac and connect using the same installer file that I used to build in this new XP bottle.

Is there some sort of log file I can post to help figure this communication error out?

1 looks like

I just tried to run the other application that goes w/ this Client app - it's the VMware Infrastructure Update.app and it seems to run but when I click on the Manual update button, I get another communication error "Unable to reach VMware update service. Please try again later"

In addition, this application bombed out when I clicked on the "Hosts" tab so it doesn't look like it's really working correctly.

Again, is there a log file somewhere?

You may have seen this posted in other places, but a frequent "fix" for communications errors is to install IE6 into the same bottle as the application in question. The few reports we have on VMWare Infrastructure Client are marked by users as "known not to work", but the steps that users took to try and get the app to work are not listed.

There won't be a log file automatically generated by an application running normally in Crossover - the only automatic log file is generated during the install. You can set a log file to run and capture program data by going to Crossover's Run Command menu, selecting the appropriate bottle and exe, and then setting your debug channels under "debug options". You'll then be prompted to select a location in which to save the log file.

Please only post the relevant portions of a log file in the forums.

(In all honesty, you may not be able to troubleshoot your way to success with a complex application like VMWare Infrastructure Client. Such apps often require a lot of "under the hood" work in Crossover, which involves a contract with Codeweavers in order for us to re-assign the necessary developers.)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZmdxYkdXTU14QlN6MjZ1ciIsImdkcHIiOjB9