CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

IE 6 Active X

Be gentle lol, newbie here who probably doesn't know what he is doing..

I have a avermedia eb1304 net dvr and when I remotely access it from any windows pc via Internet explorer it launches a page which states
"it may take a few minutes to download the software", it then asks do I want to install Webcamx active x control, which I agree to, and all works well.

I have downloaded crossover and Ie6 and I get to the "it may take a few minutes to download the software" welcome screen, and then nothing happens, no prompt for download so doesn't work. Any ideas, as remote viewing of the dvr is the only reason I want IE on my macbook.

Thanks

It's probably trying to do something with Active X that Crossover has no idea how to handle. ActiveX can access pretty deep into Windows, and there's stuff that Crossover either hasn't been programmed for yet, or can't do because of the security systems on Mac & Linux.

I dunno, it works perfect with Vmware fusion. It's only the first time when I access the dvr that it downloads this "plugin" and after that it connects instantly.
With crossover, nothing is downloaded from the box, I wonder is it possible to extract the "plugin" from another version of IE that has previously accessed the dvr, and put it into the crossover IE6 version, or am I just talking rubbish ?

Ironic, isn't it....trying to get ie6 to work on a Mac with crossover to
access a dvr that's running on a linux embedded RTOS...

Taking a plugin from another copy of ie6 (that's already 'seen' the box)
probably won't work - it might but I doubt it...as said, activeX reaches
pretty deep inside windows, and the needed functionality simply might not
be there yet in crossover...ie; it might not be just the plugin that's
being downloaded - other things might be going on too, like registry
related entries being created...

I wonder if crossover linux does any better with it?...like, install a
linux guest in vmware, install crossover linux into that vm and try
again. Honestly, I wouldn't expect it to work - I'd expect this to
(mis)behave exactly like crossover mac currently does, but if it did
work it'd be something worth looking harder at.

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like my best solution is bin Crossover, and bin my dvr, and buy a dvr that works with firefox or safari, assuming such thing exists.
Its amazing, I can see my dvr perfectly on my prehistoric Dell X50v, but with my shiny macbook air and my almost as shiny macbook pro it's impossible, other than running a virtual machine, which I don't really wanna do, especially on the Air, as I only have a 80 gig hdd. I also tried Darwine and IES4Osx and no joy.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoid3VaSEhmUHFxYlFKRnQzSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9