CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

So close, so so close

Unfortunately it seems I still need to use VMWare only for Internet Explorer which is nothing short of a pain in the bum.

As awesome a job as CodeWeavers and the Wine team have done the way IE works in CrossOver is not the way I need it to work.

To show you what I mean look at these two screenshots:

This is the Windows VM view. Notice the "Sign In" button.

Here's the same page in IE7 under CrossOver.

This isn't so much an issue with CrossOver or Wine it's because the people who wrote the site a idiots who can't code. The whole site has been coded using ActiveX and in doing so nothing but IE on Windows works unless Wine and CodeWeavers can provide some sort of port of ActiveX.

Man I was so hoping to be able to ditch Windows entirely but this is not to be.

I wish our idiot managers had never decided it was a good idea to upgrade to this pointless software. :)

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

ActiveX controls are tricky in that they are extremely customizable. One can write ActiveX code to call on any number of low-level elements in the Windows OS, some of which may be implemented in Crossover/Wine, and (more often) some which have not.

We've identified a number of authentication bugs with IE7 in Crossover, and we'll be releasing an update to Crossover 8.x specifically to deal with these bugs by the end of this summer (ideally). Your non-appearing login button doesn't specifically match any of these bugs, so I'll forward this post onto the support system so that we can log this issue and add it to the appropriate bug/create a new one.

Hey Jack,

Thanks for the reply.

This one is very very tricky because part of the issue is that with CrossOver/Wine using Mozilla as the underlying browser engine you may not be able to solve the problem. The lack of buttons shows up in FireFox and Safari.

Seriously, Service Alliance is a complete and utter prick to use. It does stupid things like when you update a call it calculates each action most notably in the circled areas in this screenshot:

It's a pain because what took less than a minute to do in the old really bad version of Service Alliance now takes three minutes in the new absolutely atrocious Service Alliance.

I wouldn't go out of your way to fix this issue but if you do it will make you gods among men as I would finally be able to ditch Windows once and for all because the only other app I need Windows for has been running under Crossover since v7.1 and works perfectly under 8.0.

Can you try adding the 'Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Redistributable' package available through CrossOver to the bottle?

It may not work, but it may be enough to support the ActiveX calls the button needs.

(You will need to enable the additional packages through CrossOver, go to CrossOver-> Preferences -> Installer Assistant and uncheck 'Hide Service Packs and Dependencies)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieWJrWTM3RTdKUWN3SlFUNCIsImdkcHIiOjB9