CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Outlook 2007 Lockups

I installed a new setup of Office 2007.

I have Outlook setup to work with Exchange, but once and hour sometimes more often, it lockups, causing the CPU to spike and then doesn't free up.

I have to closed CrossOver to kill it and then start it again.

I can make it happen most often when working with Calendar items.

Anybody else having this problem?

Tim

Yes, I have had the same problem. It works pretty well though. I am glad I don't have to use Fusion as much.

I've had it hang on me occasionally as well - we're in an Exchange environment as well. Additionally, when composing an email or reply, I've found I type faster that the CrossOver keyboard buffer can keep up (and I don't type that fast). This is with the "Lame Duck" edition.

Exactly the same problem here. Works fine for a little bit then bogs down to the point that while typing a new email msg characters start appearing very very slowly then stops and hangs for a minute and then starts again. Seems like it is bogging down due to memory leak or cpu max out. Not sure. Haven't done any formal resource analysis. Very painful though. Have tried running it in both modes(visible desktop and outlook window only). Same results. With the desktop visible, the login screen often ends up behind another window and I have to minimize outlook to see login dialog. I can really see the potential here though. Much faster(until it bogs down) than booting up my vmware or parallels.

yep. same thing with me as well. the weird thing is, if i have another office app open, if i switch into it then go back into outlook, it will let me type again for a bit. i have had it go unresponsive every time i type a character. pretty annoying.
guess i'll open a ticket.

Hello,

We noticed this issue a couple of weeks ago, and have been tracking it. By all accounts, it is not a Crossover issue (or at least, not just a Crossover issue), as many Windows users of Word and Outlook 2007 have been reporting the same thing.

The following links have some suggestions for workarounds to improve performance (you'll notice some re-occurring ideas between them). If you'd be willing to try some of them and let us know if they have an effect, that would be a great help towards identifying solutions

if you google for this problem, you can find dozens of forums threads on different sites all talking about this issue.

Hello,

So there are two(2) issues here.

1. Outlook is slow when typing. Now this problem for me happens for any Office 2007 App. I will be typing along, then all of a sudden the typing comes to a halt and start spitting out my letters at about 1 a second. This happens in Word, Outlook and Excel. Now the interesting thing for me, is this happens in both Office 2007 AND Office 2003. I have found in Outlook 2003, I can solve the problem in by turning off using Word as the editor. But that doesn't help with Word or Excel, they still do it.

2. Outlook Lockups. For me, Outlook 2007 with just stop responding, and looking at the CPU, it spikes and won't ever come back. I tried installing SP1 for 2007, but that just causes Outlook to crash when it starts. Outlook will work great for a random amount of time and then I will click on a message and nothing happens, but I have keep the CPU monitor open and and see that the CPU spikes for both cores. This DOES NOT happen with Outlook 2003.

I have installed IE 6 into both the Office 2007 bottle(xp) and in my Office 2003 bottle(2000). That didn't help the 2007, but it did seem to help a few of the networking quirks with 2003.

More specifics.

Tim

That's weird - you are the second report we've seen of this issue with 2003 - one of our staffers claims that she saw it while working for another company a few years ago (using windows) - but by all accounts it's extremely rare with 2003.

I notice that you've got Office 2k3 in a win2000 bottle. I wonder if your performance will change if you switch the bottle settings to XP? Office 2003 tends to run best in this bottle type.

I installed Outlook 2003 to troubleshoot and it has the same issues as 2007. I have been an outlook user for many years and have never seen ths behavior in windows. Also, I run both 2003 and 2007 in parallels and vmware with no issues at all. Seems to me this is a crossover related issue. I would prefer to use crossover given how fast and easy it is to launch apps but it's not reliable at this point. Another issue I have experienced regularly is that if I leave outlook running in crossover it will disconnect from the exchange server at some point and will not reconnect until I shut down the bottle and restart. Anyone else on this issue?

Jack Phinney wrote:

That's weird - you are the second report we've seen of this issue
with 2003 - one of our staffers claims that she saw it while working
for another company a few years ago (using windows) - but by all
accounts it's extremely rare with 2003.

I notice that you've got Office 2k3 in a win2000 bottle. I wonder
if your performance will change if you switch the bottle settings to
XP? Office 2003 tends to run best in this bottle type.

Since a full Office 2007 installation forces the use of Word as the email editor, maybe Codeweavers' focus should be on Word, not Outlook (I have the same problem in both). A suggestion that has seemed to help is:
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/01/23/outlook-2007-tip-remove-windows-desktop-search-prompts/

Hello,

No change when I changed the bottle to be a XP bottle.

The problem with slow typing does NOT exist in 2003 if I disable Word as the editor. In 2007 though the problem exists in Word and Excel, so it is not Word specific.

Tim

This is a documented issue even with Outlook 2007 native. It seems that there are several areas within Microsoft that can cause this... a large inbox, add-ons, word as an editor, etc, etc, etc.

Most of these issues are addressed in Office 2007 Service Pack 1 which we are working to make functional with CrossOver.

If you are seeing this issue and have not already, you are welcome to file a support ticket (or send an email to info@codeweavers.com) regarding this issue. You can reference bug 3999. This will put you on the list of requests to add this to CrossOver and put you on the list of people we should contact when we believe we have a workable solution. This bug is already in our top 10 list, so it has grown in urgency for us rather quickly.

We do not know when this issue will be resolved, but we are working on it daily.

I tried this suggestion and it makes a noticeably big difference in Outlooks performance. I still get one or two lockups during the course of a day for some reason and have to force quit and restart but then Outlook will work fine for a period of time and is generally snappy and works well until it Locks up and just stops.

Also try this link: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-ctfmonexe-and-why-is-it-running/

Since some of the alternatives in the article are not available in Crossover Office, I took "Step 4 If All Else Fails" and de-registered the dlls. This has not completely fixed the problem, but I was able to type a fairly long paragraph in an email without locking up.

Could someone from Codeweavers comment on this? I'm working on my computer only in English, only using keyboard and mouse for input. Any downside? Should I also remove ctfmon from Library overrides (I already did)? Thanks,

Gary

the downside of de-registering dll's would become apparent if any other processes in Outlook also require those dll's, in which case there would probably be a crash. We advise that customers wait until we've finally got the SP1 installer up and running, but experimentation is not discouraged.

Mr. Phinney I have 2 different MAC Book Pro laptops, 1 running Office 2007 and 1 running Office 2003. Both are experiencing the same problem. Slow office apps. Obviously Codeweavers have updated their testing setup because you would have known about this problem. I paid for a software that is suppose to support various versions of Office out of the box, this is not the case. I think Codeweavers need to update their supported software list or prepare for a class action law suit for false advertising. People are patient but it is very frustrating to pay for something that does not do what it is supposed to do.

Our apologies for any misconceptions there may be about CrossOver's performance with Office 2003 and Office 2007. Neither suite receives a 'Gold' status rank from us stating that it works perfectly and we would be mistaken if we thought either do. Our site clearly states this. Further, we have posted several links where Windows users have reported the same issues in Office 2003 and 2007 that are documented here. While CrossOver will take some time to overcome these issues, we intend to do just that. We have several developers working long hours to make such things as the Office 2007 Service Pack 1 install. We have the forums where people can discuss the issues that they are seeing and offer solutions back and forth. And, we have our ticket system that people can publicly browse for answers, not to mention file a ticket themselves or send us an email.

Finally, we have a no questions asked return policy. If CrossOver does not meet your needs, we will gladly refund your money.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/truth_in_advertising/
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/truth_in_advertising/

1 to 17 of 17

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiU0J4OHdXNnNSbkpOUVRySiIsImdkcHIiOjB9