CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

"please insert cd message"

Hi!
Now, I suppose this question has been asked some time before me, but I couldn't find a direct answer to it. I'm trying to run several 'old' games (Little Big Adventure, Dungeon Keeper,...) - the installers run perfectly but once I get round to playing I get the typical dialog boxes that ask me to insert the original CD.
For some reason the games are unable to find the path to the CD (I think). Is there any way to get around this problem?

There are two possible causes:

1) The game tries to load a copy protection driver that does not work in crossover. We now support a few of those, but among the not running securtiy/drm/anti-cheat drivers are StarForce, PunkBuster and GameGuard.

2) You're on a mac. MacOS doesn't allow direct SCSI access to cdrom drives, but copy protection systems need this(and windows and linux allow it). Apple says it is for "security reasons", although I don't see their rationale here. Whatever the reason, they don't allow it, so most cd based copy protection fails on Macs.

Thanks for the reply, the second cause sounds like the issue I'm dealing with :)
Just wondering if it would be an option for future releases to allow Crossover to create some kind of CD image on the HD and act as a virtual cd-drive. Not sure if it would work that way, but perhaps worth a try (?)

Unfortunately no, because of two reasons:

1) The CD check can't read the data it needs, so crossover on its own can't read it either. MacOS simply doesn't allow it

2) Any such feature, if it worked, would be considered as a way to circumvent copy protection systems in many contries, thus essentially making CrossOver illegal.

Is there any way to force Darwin to allow SCSI access to the CD drive? I'm not familiar at all with this stuff; I just know that I can't play AoE 2 because it can't see the CD.

well, i seem to be circumventing the CD check by making a disk image of the CD on my HD with DiskUtility and mounting that volume. the prog seems able to see it just fine and i no longer get the "please insert CD message."

of course, my game doesn't actually work, so i have no idea if this actually the case. ;) all i know is, i no longer encounter the "ask for cd message."

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZE53QzZ0dWJTNVdFN2VtSiIsImdkcHIiOjB9