CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Possible to rename bottle?

Hi. Is it possible to rename a bottle in CrossOver and CrossOver Games Mac? I tried renaming the bottle directory in ~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles but all that did was break the bottle - applications in it wouldn't launch anymore.

If you rename the bottle to the original name, does it restore the application functionality? How did you rename it?

I've used a various number of ways to rename the bottle of XP for IE6 and all of them worked (I only tried Crossover Mac and not the Games version). All of the following worked for me.

I've renamed the bottle just using the UI in the Configure menu... Manage Bottles (double-click and then rename).
I've renamed the bottle inside Finder with Crossover open but the bottle not in use.
I've renamed the bottle inside Finder with Crossover not running.

I could not find a situation/scenario where renaming didn't work.

I renamed it by actually renaming the bottle in Finder with CrossOver not running. Renaming it back did fix the applications. I didn't realize there was a rename feature within CrossOver. Using it seems to do the trick - applications still run. Thanks!

You're most welcome. I didn't realize there was a rename feature in CX either until I went in and double-clicked it to see what would happen.

Glad it solved your issues!

Happy new year!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRXB5VEZHc1dHY2Fzc05IUiIsImdkcHIiOjB9