CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

DVD Video Playback

I've installed Topaz Moment in a new Vista bottle. This app takes high-quality frame captures from movies on DVD. The app is unsupported but seems to run normally, except that when I try to play a DVD I get the message "Failed to query the needed interfaces for DVD playback."

In Topaz Moment, when I try to open a .VOB file on the DVD manually, the DVD is seen as drive D:. I can navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder, but the folder shows no contents.

I had the same results when I made the DVD into a disk image and mounted the image, except that the image is seen as drive F:.

If I switch to Internet Explorer and open the DVD, it is seen as drive E:, and all files appear in VIDEO_TS.

I have a quad-core Intel Xeon Mac Pro with a built-in Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-112D running OS 10.5.5 and CrossOver 7.1.

Any ideas on getting a DVD recognized and playing in Topaz Moment?

I believe the behavior you are seeing is due to CrossOver. CrossOver creates a new drive location whenever a disc is mounted or whenever it is told to look for a disc. So, when you open the DVD manually you see it as drive d:. Then, you create an image and mount it and browse to that image through CrossOver and CrossOver assigns the image to drive f:. Then, you open Internet Explorer and CrossOver assigns it to Drive e:. Usually CrossOver takes the next available drive letter (so I wonder if perhaps you went through IE before mounting the image).

I think that if you first create a location and then mount the DVD to that location (not simply mounting the DVD) you may get better luck.

Beyond that, you can get better advice (and probably a better explanation of CrossOver's behavior) by creating a support ticket and specifically asking for the advice of Ken.

Good Luck!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR2NmdTRUeHlmN1FIZUFQNSIsImdkcHIiOjB9