CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam and Half Life issue/external drive support

Steam is dope as well much of what is offered inside of steam (Half Life, HL2, older mods/expansions etc) but there are some areas of improvement or issues (might as well have issues be known, this is not a hostile post).

My main one: it would cool to have the ability to change where the library files steam uses (ie the actual games in the "application support" folder) changeable in some fashion. I only have so much space left on my internal and its obvious how big many of those games can be. seems simple enough but i think it would have to alter the win2000 bottle possibly, and im not convinced i know what im talking about, but if i could set that folder location to be on an external or something. all i can seem to move is the actual steam file which is like 200KB, but Steam looks into "[homefolder]>library>application support>cross over games>bootles>win2000>drive_c>program files" for the actual games. I tried doing aliases for that folder and move it to the external but it did not work. said the file was not found and there was insufficient buffer

and then says
CrossOver Games was unable to open /Users/[home folder]/Applications/CrossOver Games/Steam/Steam.app.
"Possible reasons for this error are:
• The application associated with this document has been deleted
• The application associated with this document is not in the default bottle"

Other issues i have experienced are that in HL2, it does not allow HDR, nor does it detect the hardware driver for direct x 9, even if I enable "useGLSL" entry as suggested by these directions http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/CXGamesMac_EnableGLSL

I assume these issues are related.

Furthermore, in Steam, I did change the Lost Coast launch options in the Properties window to appear as "-novid +mat_hdr_level 2" which then forces the video settings to have HDR in full (where availiable), which results it the effect still not actually being utilized. This command is by default set to "-novid +mat_hdr_level 0"

There are a couple of approaches that you can try to relocate your Steam files:

• When you install Steam, it asks for the directory in which to install. If you navigate to Z:\Volumes, you can pick one of your external volumes.

• You can use a Unix-y feature called symbolic links, you can relocate your bottles or portions of them. A symbolic link is conceptually similar to a Mac-style alias, but is more transparent to low-level programs like CrossOver. Here's the procedure:

1) Quit CrossOver Games
2) Navigate to (your home folder)/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles
3) Move your Steam bottle from there to one of your external drives. (In the Finder, you can use Command-drag to move rather than copy the folder.)
4) Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
5) In the Terminal window, type "cd" followed by space (don't type Return, yet)
6) Drag the Bottles folder from the Finder and drop it on the Terminal window
7) Type Return in the Terminal window
8) Type "ln -s" (that's lowercase L, lowercase N, space, minus, lowercase S) (don't type Return, yet)
9) Drag the bottle folder that you moved to an external drive from its new location and drop it on the Terminal window
10) Type Return in the Terminal window

In the Finder, it should now look very much like it would if you had used an alias. In the Bottles folder, there should be a folder icon for the bottle you moved, but badged with the curved arrow like an alias. It's really a symbolic link. You can now restart CrossOver Games and Steam, and it should all work fine in its new location.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicFBwYVFuUVpwclpwdVBzYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9