CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

AGEOD's AACW under Crossover, "DOS drive issues"

Hi, I'm attempting to run AGEOD's American Civil War under CxGames 7.2 and running into an error. I believe the error is related to attempting to access DOS drive space or something like that. Unfortunately I'm not to experienced with the command line; I can follow directions but don't know what they actually mean. I believe I need to perform the equivalent of the following script, which is written for Wine:

Authorized access to DOS memory space :
/usr/bin/sudo /bin/cp /etc/sysctl.conf /etc/sysctl.conf.back
/usr/bin/sudo /bin/sed -i -e 's/^(vm.mmap_min_addr =) .*/\1 0/' /etc/sysctl.conf
/usr/bin/sudo /sbin/sysctl -p

excerpt from: http://www.ageod.net/aacwwiki/How_to_play_to_AACW_with_GNU/Linux_Ubuntu

Thanks in advance,
Ben

This http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/CXOffice62_Ubuntu804dosmem is what they're talking about, though it doesn't apply to all distro's, typically just Ubuntu & Fedora need it.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm working with the folks at AGEOD to see if they can help. I've sent them a log file after searching around and trying everything. Someone else had the same exact error, but is using Ubuntu and Wine so it sounds like it's a general issue with the Wine engine and the game.

Actually it's Wine vs. Ubuntu. New in Ubuntu 8.04 access was restricted to an initial range of memory address by the OS to prevent viruses/worms from maliciously inserting themselves there and trying to hijack system processes. However the Windows programs Wine runs expect to be able to reach those memory ranges, and fail in all sort of bizarre and unusual ways when they can't - from applications not installing, to the program not running, to random freezes. The link I posted (and the one from the wiki you left) are commands to remove the memory address restriction.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidHVHQ2RtSDdUTGVnZXhHdSIsImdkcHIiOjB9