CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 with RPC over HTTP

I have installed Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007 on WinXP or Win2000 Bottle and i have in all installations the same problem.

If i want to check my name i was asked for username and password, after this nothing happens. The mouse is hourglass....

Please help.

Can you verify your exchange settings and proxies against any other computers connected to the same server?

Also, are you using Crossover 7?

If so, have you tried entering "domain/user" in the user name field, instead of just your user name?

Yes, it's Version 7. The Problem is not, the the access fails, the problem is, after entering the password nothing happens. The Application still hung. Many of us uses our Exchange Server via RPC over HTTP. Everything work's fine. But i will check with domain\username....

It has nothing to do with the username.

If i restart Mail from Control Panel i have immediately enter my username/password. Afterwards i want to check the mail username, after pressing this button, the application hungs....

Hey mates,

I have the same problem here. I copied all entries from the Outlook configuration I use on my Windows Vista PC. The only thing that I was not able to set the same is "Logon network security" entry on the Security tab. On the PC it's negotiation authentication. On my Mac I just can choose password authentication NTLM

Hm...have you tried installing IE6 into the same bottle as your Outlook? Sometimes this installation of IE can help Outlook get over connectivity issues. Seems like a long shot, but I think it's worth a try. You might even have to try removing the bottle with Outlook, and doing a fresh install (+ installing IE6 in the same bottle).

I would suggest the same - installing IE6 into the same bottle as your Outlook. It doesn't take long, and it's worth a shot.

Also, what happens if you leave "Logon network security" as a blank? On a mac with outlook 2007 that i use with an exchange server, this field is blank, and I have no connectivity issues...

Sorry, I keep thinking of more things after I've already posted.

Have you tried playing with your Exchange proxy settings, such as the Authentication Settings or the SSL only? Changing these around a bit has worked for some users in the past.

I am having the same problem as Ulrich... I installed ie6 and i can browse internaly fine, but when i go to my web access manager it says that page couldn't be loaded. I used the same address to get to my web access as in firefox natively on my mac.

Im running leopard, and exchange just hangs until it says that it can not connect to the exchange server

Another weird thing is when I added hotmail, it will just keep on asking me for my password, and wont connect. I tried to conect to online outlook help through the program but nothing showed up.

My problem is inside of the control panel 'mail'. It has nothing to do with IE6!

If i use RPC over HTTP, enter the intern exchange server name, enter the extern exchange server name for https, send plain text password, then i have to check the mail user name. If i press check name, the system hung....

I use the exact same things with VMware Fusion and it works....

As jtashman said, I also tried to access the Exchange server using Internet Explorer 6 and go to the Web-Access Page. What should I say, I can't login there with my username/password. Using Firefox there is no problem...

seems to me there is an authentification Problem if we use it out of Crossover. Is that possible?

Cheers Thorsten

Well IE6 within CrossOver works with OWA well, if i use IE6 with WIN98.

I can also confirm that behaviour. I tried it just a couple of minutes before. I also tried to install IEx 7, but the compatibility page told me it won't work, which is correct 😊 So let's make a summary at this point:

• IEx 6 in Win98 works fine with OWA, but Office 2007 will not install on this system
  • IEx 6 in WinXP can't login to OWA. Office installs but also cannot access Exchange
  • IEx 7 doesn't work at all, but could probably solve the problem (?)

Any idea how to solve this?

Greetings, Thorsten

I am not able to connect either. I also run an XP Virtual Machine with VMWARE and using the same exact settings on the same machine it works in my virtual machine but does not work in cx. I installed IE right off the bat thinking the same but still no go. I HATE, opening a VM just to use Outlook and my company won't open IMAP so I'm stuck. HELP!!! :D

We have been discussing this issue and a very quiet suggestion came up that perhaps the server itself needed to be reset. Not that I would even begin to say it is not CrossOver... but, it is worth an attempt. We had a user try resetting their server early today and everything started suddenly working. I know it is not the fix-all, but it is a really simple detail that most of us forget about. Does anyone have the ability to attempt this? Thanks.

I wish I could restart the exchange server, but it is my school exchange mail account, and they wouldn't allow an exchange restart just for me. However it was just restarted recently to install some updates. I can confirm that they are using exchange 2007 w/ sp1

I wouldn't disagree that it could be my exchange server's problem and not crossover however two things lead me to believe that this isn't the case:

Hotmail dosnt work, it just keeps on asking me for my password in outlook.
I can't even access outlook's internet help inside the program.

Interesting. I installed Outlook 2007 in a WinXP bottle and am running RPC over HTTP with no problems. Our organization is still running Exchange 2003 though so maybe part of the issue is with Exchange 2007.

Haven't configured 2003 yet but it's next on the list.

I am going to try reinstalling the bottle but this time install everything from my office suite... maybe there is something needed in the other packages.

Actually I don't have the possibility to restart the Exchange Server. I could try to convince our IT-Admins to do that, but I'm of little hope that would be an option for them.

But I don't understand that point yet. Let me summarize this:

• Every Windows-User in the company can access the Exchange Server (No complains AFAIK)
  • Some guys working with Linux+Evolution can connect
  • Win98 Bottle + IEx6 = OWA works (Installation of Office 2007 not possible)
  • WinXP Bottle + IEx6 = OWA does not work (Outlook 2007 cannot connect)

So it seems to me, it is an issue connected with the bottle I use but not a server problem. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but without arguments it will be hard for a lot of us to convince the (windows) administrators that they have to reboot Exchange. BTW, we also use Exchange 2003.

Can you connect to OWA using IEx6 in that bottle?

Hey everyone,

We are still working diligently on this issue, which we realize is a critical one.

In thinking further about bottles, I remembered that I had an issue at random one day connecting to our exchange server here at Crossover. It turned out that mail configuration inside the bottle itself also needed to be set to the exchange server. To do this -

go to manage your bottles, and configure the bottle containing your outlook. under control panel you will see a mail tab - set this configuration for exchange access just as you do inside outlook.

If anyone has not done this, please try and see if it works. If you've already tried and it didn't work, we'd really love to know as well.

As a final thought, is anyone been trying to troubleshoot accessing their exchange server with "use cached exchange mode" OFF?

Thanks.

I have tried it through the control panel mail with no luck. Although after I did that my outlook would not run anymore and keep crashing, but I think that is an unrelated problem. I am reinstalling the whole office suite over again but trying different bottles... I will report back in a few to see if does anything.

Ok I tried a new bottle and installed everything, and did cached and non cached mode but none of it is working...

I can not even access the online help so for me at least this is a problem beyond RPC over HTTP.

Okay, thanks for testing that.

(FYI you will not be able to access online help through Outlook, period, even when the app is running optimally through Crossover.)

So - a new request for those of you who are still experiencing these connectivity issues:

PLEASE FILE A SUPPORT TICKET through the info queue in our support center, and reference the name of this forum thread ("Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 with RPC over HTTP"). From there we will ask you to upload specific log files and give us more detailed information about your operating environments, etc. We've got an update to the CX7 release coming out soon, and we REALLY WANT TO HAVE A FIX for this issue included. This, of course, depends on detailed information from customers who are having the issues, as we are unable to reproduce this connectivity problem at our office (where we use Outlook 2007 and exchange 2003).

Thanks for your help and patience.

Ticket 686230 - Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 with RPC over HTTP

Regards

Ulrich

Hey sorry for the delay... I am having troubles writing a ticket because I am still using the trial... any updates on the update?

Hi,

the ticket is just in progress.

I will post here when it was fixed.

Ulrich

I am really happy that I found that thread - so I am not alone with my problems. I am a trial user and want to use crossover mac for outlook 2003 rpc over https (and some other small apps). I can completly agree with the posters before:

You need a WinXP bottle to have the RPC over http Feature available in Outlook 2003, but it is impossible to use it. Outlook 2003 works perfect until I configure my exchange account (rpc over http). Regardless if I configure via the "Mail" tab in the Configure-section or via Outlook directly. As soon as I configured the account Outlook will not start completly and the Mailtab is hanging as soon as I go to Change My account (I use german outlook so I do not know the correct spelling). It is impossible to delete the account configuration, so the only way is to reinstall office again.

What I already tried:

*)Add exchange server to /etc/hosts

*)Tried to configure account in several different ways

*)tried different kind of bottles

We use a self-signed ssl certificate for the server - perhaps that could be an issue? I added the certificate to OSX, but found no way to seperatly add it to the bottle (is that possible/necessary).

I have used outlook over https several times on different machines and currently I use this on my macbook pro with virtualbox - no problems.

If I can help to resolve the problem I would really like to help. I need a working solution for Outlook 2003 and want to buy Crossover7 :).

First, can you send an email to info@codeweavers.com. This will initiate a ticket that we can keep track of.

Second, you can get a certificate into the bottle by installing IE6 in that bottle.

Third, when you send the email, please reference bug 4295 in the text section. Further, the information you supplied here will be excellent in a ticket. Then, we can give you further instructions.

Thank you!

Are they news about this ticket?
Same issue here with crossover linux 7.0.2 on ubuntu 8.04 and Outlook 2007.
Thanks,
Paolo

This is an issue with Exchange 2007. Everything was working fine when my Uni was using Exchange 2003. As soon as they upgraded to 2007 (last week) Crossover is no longer able to connect.

Oulook it able to connect fine when running in a virtual machine - so it's a problem with wine.

Still appears to be broken in Crossover 7.1.0 :(

Is there any update on this thread? It seems that this issue was uncovered over 3 months ago but there hasn't been a fix yet.

Thanks.

Would this have anything to do with the lack of NTLMv2 support? From the FAQ:

At this time CrossOver only supports the older NTLMv1 authentication found in Windows 95 and Windows 98. Contact your network administrator as it is possible enable NTLMv1 compatibility for older clients.

Seemingly the same issue here...

Trying to do Auto-Discovery within Outlook 2007 fails..

(I have Office 2007 & IE6 within a WINXP bottle, we are also running Exchange 2007)

I get an error stating:
An encrypted connection to your mail server is not available. Click next to attempt using an unencrypted connection.

If someone from CodeWeavers wants to assist me with this, I could provide them with a test account to try it out.

Thanks
Matt

I'm having the same problem. Specifically free/busy time is not available and the outlook debug log shows this is because autodiscover is failing.

I'm using CrossOver Version 7.1 (7.1.0) on Mac OS X (10.5.5) Using the winxp bottle. I registered for the free download of crossover on the special give-a-way-day.

Our autodiscover service works fine when I use outlook via a V.M. or boot into real Windows, but using a packet sniffer on my machine I found that no outbound connections were being attempted to the autodiscover host when using crossover. Literally no traffic. I'm not even seeing any DNS lookups for the autodiscover hostname.

I have IE 6 installed in the same and am able to surf the web and outlook works fine for checking my mail when I hard-code the exchange server name. I see the IE 6 traffic perfectly fine in the packet sniffer. I also see the traffic when outlook checks my email.

So to trouble shoot the problem further I found that you can setup the autodiscover service to use a local XML file rather then going off onto the network. see "Deploying an XML file" at (http://exchange-genie.blogspot.com/2007/07/autodiscover-ad-attribute.html)
I used my real windows host to grab the autodiscover XML file and then copied it into the drive_c area for crossover.

Using this configuration autodiscover works fine now with crossover. But now that I'm past the autodiscover problem outlook is complaining about not being able to complete the SOAP request for the user availability (when trying to view someones free/busy schedule in the calendar):
Request action: http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/messages/GetUserAvailability)

Specifically it displays "Response error code: 80070032" and says that there was an error in the request/response.

Again, using a packet sniffer I don't see any attempt to contact my exchange server via the ASURL listed in my local autodiscover.xml file.

So I'm becoming convinced that the problem is not with the autodiscover "feature" or the SOAP service calls as much as it's a problem with the network connectivity or the way outbound requests are being made from Outlook through crossover.

I would love to do some other tests for anyone who is interested. I could/would also be willing to post the full output of the packet trace and outlook debug logs if anyone would like.

--Mark

I finally have Outlook 2007 working with Exchange 2007. Over the past couple of months I have experienced similar/the same issues described here and today (because Outlook 2007 was failing to work on a Windows Box) I discovered the solution (at least for me).

There are two issues:

1. Where you enter your username (Same place you have the option to "Check Name" not login) enter this:
    =SMTP:your.email@address.com

2. For the login credentials use:
    domain\username

everything works beautifully now.

Daniel

1 to 39 of 39

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUmRNWjRyR3RUUll3WnE3eiIsImdkcHIiOjB9