CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Opening an .exe file

I'm new to Mac and Crossover. MacBook Pro with 10.5. I wish to open up an .exe file. Do I need to install Windows and use Parallels? Or is there an application in Crossover that will allow me to view this type of file? I'm not sure from the list of software packages in Crossover what will allow me to open this type of file.

CrossOver allows you to run Windows Applications(which .exe files are usually), that's what is is there for. Simply install CrossOver, and you should be able to double-click on the .exe file. You may have to create a bottle in CrossOver first("Configure" in the menu). Sometimes other applications like unzippers associate themselves with .exe files, because they can handle .exe files which are self-extracting packages. In this case you have to sort out the file associations in MacOS, or use Programs->Run command in CrossOver.

If the .exe files contains an installer for a Windows software, I recommend to use Configure->Install software to install the app.

Thanks Stefan. Appreciated.

Hi stefan,

I have a mac 10.4.11
for my courses I need to use a .exe application (Retscreen4.exe), so I bought CrossOver.
I have created a bottle "configure menu" but when I click on my .exe file nothing happen!
Am I have to do something else?
When I go to programs--run it tells me that my .exe is ready but nothing happen.
Can you help me?

Regards,
Aurélia

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidGJlUTc5UDdjbTVKWEVLcCIsImdkcHIiOjB9