CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam Issues

Okay, I'm probably repeating thread topics here but I haven't found an answer that will help me yet so I thought I'd post it myself.

I open steam up, that's fine. Slow, but it works fine, then I click on Left 4 Dead Demo and launch it. Then it says this:

I downloaded Directx 9.0 at the advice of my friend but I don't know where to put the .exe file when I'm installing it so I'm probably doing it wrong and when I open L4D, I still get that message, then it opens, isn't full screen and there's no menu.

Portal on the other hand does open but it freezes in like the first 30 seconds.

Anyways, I guess I'm asking if anyone can walk me through how to install a new driver so that my games will work and/or what else is wrong with them because a friend of mine, who has the same model Mac as me, same everything can run it and I can't.

I have a 15.4 in. Macbook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Unfortunately I'm not extremely computer savvy and my friend who is knows nothing about macs so any help would be much appreciated :)

You are seeing a false warning here. The story behind it is that Steam doesn't know about Mac/Linux driver versions. It only knows the driver versions for Windows cards. So we cannot report the Mac/Linux driver version(*), as it leads to this message. To work around the problem, we hardcode the newest Windows driver version into CrossOver when we ship it; Now it is likely that a newer Windows driver shipped and Steam known about this, but CrossOver doesn't. You can safely ignore this warning.

Left4Dead doesn't work yet - I recommend reading the left4dead application forum for that.

(*) It's not just the driver version number that is different, the whole format of the number is different as well.

Thank you!

:)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQkpibWhGNDZVOGZxdmhYZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9