CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Shortcuts

I seem to be doing something wrong in trying to put a shortcut on the dock for applications installed in my default bottle - specifically, Netscape Communicator and Quicken 2007. When I try dragging the icon to the dock, it does not open a drop space and, if I try to "drop" the icon where I want it anyway, nothing happens.

Any help on where I'm going wrong (this is my first attempt to use CrossOver Mac, in trial form) will be greatly appreciated.

I can drag/drop the icon's to the dock and get them to stay but if you're still having problems, there's a different way to get what you need. Launch the apps and when they are loaded, Ctrl-Click (right-click) on the icon and choose "Keep in Dock". This will keep the icon in the dock for you and get you what you ultimately are looking for.

HTH. Cheers.

Perfect, Jay. Many thanks.

Given I'm almost as new to Macs as I am to CrossOver, every tip and trick, from obvious to hidden, is a major step out of a quarter century of PC and into what I am increasingly coming to accept as a new century with Mac.
Heck, I've even converted three other PC-from-Day-One guys to Mac in the past week. And CrossOver (along with Parallels) is right at the top of the "convince me" list, so the higher my comfort level with it, the better.

Cheers,
J.R.

Hey J.R.

Glad it helped. And yes, trying to do things the Windows-way on a Mac isn't the best way. While there are similar things (Finder, Windows Explorer), how one interacts with them is different. One of the handiest things that I use (and I find myself using it more and more) is renaming an open file in the Finder instead of doing a Save As. I find myself also renaming folders in the Finder while there are files within that folder still open. Cannot do that on Windows Explorer (get access denied messages). Another thing to consider is that maximizing a window on the Mac is not the same as on Windows. The Mac window will maximize to only as large as the content needs while Windows is full-screen. There are some things that I do wish were available on the Mac (resizing windows from any side/corner, for example) but there's much more on the Mac side that makes it a much more pleasurable computing experience.

If you ever use screen shots of things in documents or emails, get to know the Mac keyboard shortcuts for screen grabs (Cmd-Shift-3, Cmd-Shift-4, Cmd-Ctrl-Shift-3, Cmd-Ctrl-Shift-4). And definitely get used to having multiple windows open and accessible at a second's notice (including using Expose). Most Windows users I know just go from one maximized window/app to another maximized - makes it harder to do things between apps.

Yes, Crossover is a nice tool and am hoping it continues to get better. I use Fusion instead of Parallels but that's just a personal choice. I find that I don't use Windows that much and as there is more support for Mac versions of applications, that need becomes even less.

Welcome to the community - have a great new year's!

Cheers,
Jay

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicHdHUG5MbndISFBXU3BCOSIsImdkcHIiOjB9