CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Moving Steam games

Hey,

I've been searching on google and searching on this website, but I haven't found an answer yet.
I decided to buy and try some games that aren't on the supported list yet (such as The Longest Journey, Safecracker, ...) for Crossover Games.
And sadly, they don't work (well). Now I'm wondering if I can find the game files Steam uses to run those games somewhere on my Mac. I'd like to install the games now under Bootcamp and I have a 30gb/month download limit so I can't really download it all again.

So yeah, can i copy the games (or steam files) to a windows computer/partition?

Thanks in advance
Nele

AFAIK you can't copy directly from Mac to the Bootcamp Partition so you need an external HD or similar
AFAIK mac is unable to write NTFS. So you have to ensure that you copy on a FAT32-harddisk. Maybe you have an external HD with FAT32.

What you need to copy to your Windows Partition is the Steam folder. Open Crossover /Configure /Manage Bottles /Advanced and here click on OPEn C: Drive in folder. This way you can open your Crossover Windwos File Directory. You can find the Steam folder under /program files/steam. This folder as a whole needs to be copied on your windwos partition. ONce copied double click steam.exe, maybe reenter your account data and everything should work fine.

Maximilian wrote:

AFAIK you can't copy directly from Mac to the Bootcamp Partition so
you need an external HD or similar
AFAIK mac is unable to write NTFS. So you have to ensure that you
copy on a FAT32-harddisk.

Note that you can also use MacFUSE (search for it) with the NTFS 3g module to read and write NTFS from OS X.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic3BmOUZLTFNYZ1h5eldORiIsImdkcHIiOjB9