CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Multi-Session CD-ROMS: Hopefully a new Challenging Question

Hi,

This is my first post after trying to use CrossOver Pro v7.1.

I have a multi-session games CD-ROM. By multi-session i mean it has one session for MacOSX and one session for Windows. So if you open the CD-ROM in windows you get the windows environment setup.exe etc. and if you open the CD-ROM in Mac OSX you just get the Mac OSX installers.

As the Mac OS X session comes with a classic-compatible binary, I was thinking of using CrossOver to install the windows version within MacOSX instead of launching parallels to install the windows setup.

So here's the question: Is there a trick to allow crossover to install the windows setup for multi-session discs if we can't mount the CD-ROM within OSX?

Thx

Just realized that this was a ridiculous question.

Open the CD in windows and copy the disc contents or move the disc contents to a shared drive which may work.

One way that I found that worked fine for dealing with dual format cd-roms was to create a disc image of the DVD or cd-rom via Toast and then mount that disc image. Then the Windows installer started up within Crossover Mac fine. What has not worked fine is to run the various updaters that I need for this program ☹️

Here's the copy/pasted instructions from a support ticket on how to mount the Windows partition:

OK, here's the terminal command to mount the Windows side of such a
disc. At least, it works for some disks. I can't guarantee that it
will work for your disc. PERFORM THE FOLLOWING AT YOUR OWN RISK.

First, you need a directory in the file system where the files from
the disc will appear. You might as well just create a new one. In
Terminal, type:

mkdir cd

This creates a directory named "cd". You can name it whatever you want.

Now you need to determine the device name of the CD. Open Disc
Utility, select the CD (the Mac side which is automatically mounted)
and press the Info toolbar button. There should be a field labeled
"Disk Identifier". The value to the right is the device name for the
Mac side of the CD. It probably ends with "s1" or "s2". The device
name for the CD as a whole is the device name of the Mac side minus
the trailing "s1" or "s2".

To mount the Windows side of the CD, type this in the Terminal:

mount -t cd9660 -r /dev/<device name of CD> <name of directory you
created>

For example, I've mounted a Windows/Mac hybrid CD. Disk Utility tells
me that the Disk Identifier of the Mac side is "disk2s1s2".
Therefore, I determine that the device name of the CD as a whole is
"disk2s1". I've created a directory "cd" as the mount target. The
command I issue is:

mount -t cd9660 -r /dev/disk2s1 cd

That should mount the Windows side of the CD.

Now you can use CrossOver to install the software from the Windows
side. After you are done, you need to unmount the Windows side of the
CD. The command to do that is:

umount <name of directory>

Following the example I gave above, I would do:

umount cd

After that, you can eject the CD normally.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicGF0SFZBUFJZNlVuVTZldCIsImdkcHIiOjB9