CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

DirectX 11

I was under the impression this was part of Crossover... but I find no mention of it anywhere

No, it's not part of Crossover, as it is a Microsoft product. It is however possible to install it in a bottle for use by games, up to directx 9. Directx 11 is still being worked on and, to my knowledge, can not be installed at this time. I really have now idea how long it will be before directx 11 can be used within Crossover.

CrossOver does not include any Microsoft code, so it does not come with the same DirectX that is part of Windows. However, it has a replacement for DirectX that is independently developed as part of the Wine project (see https://www.codeweavers.com/about/support-wine ). So, if a program requires DirectX, it may run in CrossOver without installing any Microsoft components.

It is possible to install and use some parts of MS DirectX in CrossOver by selecting "DirectX 9" or "Direct Music" in the installer GUI. This may work better for some applications when Wine's implementation is not sufficient.

CrossOver ships with a replacement for Direct3D 11, but it is too early in development to run any real applications. Practically speaking, it might as well be missing. Microsoft's version of Direct3D 11 cannot function in CrossOver, so trying to install that won't do any good. Wine's Direct3D 11 is being actively developed, and we expect to have a release that can run some DirectX 11 games sometime this year.

So I would like to know of where this stands as I am noticing a lot of games now dropping support for DirectX 9 in 2017?

Wine has been working on DirectX 11 for a few years now. CodeWeavers is the driving force behind that effort, and DirectX 11 is a major focus for us. At present, DX11 is not sufficiently advanced in Wine to allow many modern DX11 games to run.

A major blocker for DX11 is that very many of our customers are macOS users, and Apple's OpenGL does not provide the features necessary to implement full DirectX 11 support on macOS.

Apple provides a graphics API called Metal, distinct from OpenGL, which it claims will receive updates in the future and will be more suitable as a basis for DX11 than the old version of OpenGL which remains available on macOS. We are working to determine whether DX11 can be implemented on top of Metal. We are hopeful for that future. The need to re-implement much of Wine's D3D for macOS means that DX11 is less advanced that we would like as of today. Those features of DX11 which exist in Wine are present in CrossOver, but we do not yet tout it as something which will run the majority of games. We are working on that and would like very much to announce it in a future release.

The bottom line is that currently some Direct3D 11 applications will work on Linux, but generally not on MacOS.

With Apple's current focus on Metal they seem to have abandoned support for modern OpenGL features, and CrossOver/Wine requires those in order to support modern Direct3D. Some people may remember Blizzard running into a similar situation with Overwatch. We're investigating options for integrating Metal support, but there are some disadvantages inherent to using a proprietary API on a proprietary OS.

IS there any news on this front?

Dominik Reichardt wrote:

IS there any news on this front?

My question too. I'll buy again right now if you have a recent Wine version included, since I know it has much improved support for DX11. Your changelog, however, still only mentions Wine 2.0. Whenever CodeWavers release a new minor version of CrossOver, does it automatically included the latest available Wine (but is just neglected a mention in the changelog)?

Unfortunately DirectX 11 still isn't working with the current build of CrossOver.

I would like to add my support for this as well. I was hoping to use Crossover to play Star Trek Online on my mac but unfortunately they stopped supporting DX9. It appears like I'm out of luck for the moment.

World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth will depend on it. This is not a problem for Mac, as there is a native version , but will be on Linux. And @Codeweavers, please make sure that apps which ran on previous versions of CrossOver will also run with any new version PRIOR to release! We get nothing by upgrading to a new version only to see you broke what previously worked fine.

This is becoming increasingly relevant, especially now that DirectX 11 is already somewhat supported by upstream Wine, both by wined3d and DXVK, which is already supported by MoltenVK on macOS systems that have Metal support. Considering that OpenGL and OpenCL are also being deprecated, it's probably about time to be looking into wrapping all graphics APIs to Vulkan/MoltenVK, and possibly even wrapping the compute APIs to Metal's compute support, if such a thing is even possible.

1 to 12 of 12

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWHBjcmhCRnBMa0JRZks4MyIsImdkcHIiOjB9