CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Controllers don't work on my Apple Silicon Mac

My DualShock 4 controller is detected, but it's inputs are not picked up by CrossOver. With the same version of macOS and CrossOver (20.0.2), the same controller, the controller works just fine on my Intel Mac. It doesn't matter if I connect the controller via cable or bluetooth, neither works.
I'm surprised no one brought this up...

Hi there,

Is your controller working with any games on your m1 outside of CrossOver? To the best of our knowledge, this is a general Rosetta issue.

Thanks,
Meredith

Thanks for letting me know. The controller does work well with the Bioshock 2 remastered, which runs on Rosetta. Maybe I just got lucky there.

I am also having this exact issue. My gamepad does work with Batman: Arkham City GOTY from the App Store, and Crossover lists the controller in the control panel, however it does not recognize any input. I wonder if it could be a user permissions issue because I had to allow Batman access to the "Input Monitoring" entry in the System Preferences under the Security &Privacy tab.

I'm having a similar problem with my Logitech Extreme 3D joystick on an Intel 16" MacBook Pro with modern games.

When flying offline in Il-2 Sturmovik 1946, with CrossOver 20 in a Windows XP Bottle, all joystick axes are recognised, but after installing the newer release of Il-2 Sturmovik Great Battles, which requires a Windows x64 Bottle and the DXVK backend setting to run, the joystick throttle inputs are no longer registered.

Otherwise the new game funs fairly well in low graphics settings, but without joystick support is virtually unplayable. I even tried installing the non-Steam version, since I've had a lot of problems with Steam in CrossOver, but that didn't help. In a Windows 10 x64 virtual machine in VMware, the joystick inputs are all recognised, so I tried to copy over the configuration mapping I'd done there to the CrossOver bottle, to no avail.

Hi Brandon,

Ooooh, thanks for the tip! I did some digging, and it turns out xbox controllers weren't working on previous Big Sur versions, but they seem to be now on both Rosetta and CrossOver. However, it looks like ps4 controllers still aren't working with CrossOver, even though they're working on Rosetta like you said. I have filed a bug for this issue so a developer can take a look.

Thanks!
Meredith

I'm still having problems with my xbox controller on my m1, it is detected in crossover now as Joystick 0 but sadly not registering any button presses, fingers crossed it gets sorted.

Hi Tom,

What type of controller are you using? xbox 1 controllers currently don't work in CrossOver (although we have a bug for that), but xbox 360 controllers should be working.

Thanks,
Meredith

Hi Meredith, thanks for getting back to me. It is an xbox one controller what would explain the issue! I'll see if I can dig out an xbox 360 controller to have a go with.

Thanks!

Im buying if PS4 controller support works for the M1. Need this for playing rocket league.

Same here, PS4 dualshock is recognised but no button presses are working

A temporary work-around that I've found works is to use a controller/key mapping software such as Enjoyable to map the keyboard to controller presses. This works great for me apart from my xbox controller having drift!

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi Tom,

What type of controller are you using? xbox 1 controllers currently
don't work in CrossOver (although we have a bug for that), but xbox
360 controllers should be working.

Thanks,
Meredith

I can confirm that Xbox one controllers are actually not working with Crossover 20.0.2 on M1 Mac. They show up in Crossover config, but no button pressing is registered.

Hey! Were you able to fix the issue so its possible to play with PS4 controllers?

Or is there a workaround?

The only workaround I've seen is the one Tom lists in comment #12. We have determined that the ps4 issue with CrossOver is a Rosetta bug, and we have communicated that to Apple. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future Big Sur release.

Thanks,
Meredith

The only workaround I've seen is the one Tom lists in comment #12. We have determined that the ps4 issue with CrossOver is a Rosetta bug, and we have communicated that to Apple. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future Big Sur release.

I have no problem playing deus ex mankind divided and empire of sin with ps4 and xbox one controller via roseta 2.
I think the problem is even in the crossover.
I tested on big sur beta 11.2

I am going to buy a license after you solve this problem, thanks!

Hi there,

Controllers are not totally broken across all applications that use Rosetta (as you found); however, there is a Rosetta bug that affects the way that CrossOver (and potentially other apps) use the relevant API. We have no idea on when this could potentially be resolved, but we have reported the issue to Apple.

Thanks,
Meredith

Hello Meredith!
I hope you will let us know in the news when the problem is solved.

Hi There! Just wanted to add that i am also experiencing this issue with my PS5 Controller. Pairs to my M1 Mac but doesnt show up under game pads.

I see we are waiting on Apple Resolution just wanted to add the PS5 Controller to the mix.

Thanks!

Same situation here on my M1 MacBook Air with Big Sur 11.2

I've tried to play The Witcher 3 on Steam with my Xbox One Controller and nothing happens.

On CrossOver "Game Controllers" panel, on the "Connected" section appears Joystick 0 but on the "Controllers Testing" there is no answer.

Would love to be warned when this issue gets resolved.

Best Regards

Hi all,

We have confirmed that controllers seem to be working on m1 with the 11.3 beta 3 OS. Please do not take this announcement as any sort of general endorsement of the beta 3 build, or as encouragement to update to the 11.3 beta when it becomes public. Instead, please just consider this something to look forward to when 11.3 is released :)

We of course can't guarantee that all controllers will work with all games, but I did see ps4 wired, ps4 bluetooth and xbox one bluetooth controllers working with some games.

If you happen to already be on a beta version of 11.3, you'll also be happy to hear that 64-bit bottles also are working again with beta 3.

Best,
Meredith

Indeed controller works on 11.3 beta 3, at least Xbox one controller with bluetooth.

Maybe nows a good time for me to open a support ticket to request the sdl2 patches to be added into dinput again....

What am I missing? I thought Gamepads are supposed to work now..... Using an Xbox controller. I installed MacOS 11.3 but when I run Steam in CrossOver I get this message Immediately when I open the Steam Settings/Controller/General Controller Settings:

"Failed to create D3D surface for windows. No GPU supporting D3D10_Feature_Level-9-1-or higher was found"

And then Steam crashes. How do I fix this, please help.

Hi there,

That is a bug that has been present on CrossOver for quite some time. Controllers do work, but accessing the Steam controller settings does not work :/

Best,
Meredith

Bummer.... Thank you for the response Meredith.

Xbox one controller still doesn't work. It is detected as Joystick 0, but no input is registered. I'm running on an M1 MBP, big sur 11.2.3.

Hi there,

Yes, that's expected with Big Sur 11.2. As mentioned above, you'll need Big Sur 11.3 for controllers to work on m1.

Best,
Meredith

11.3 was just officially released today and I can confirm it works.

Were you able to open big picture mode or controller settings? I installed 11.3 but dont seem to have any luck

Zack Goodin wrote:

Were you able to open big picture mode or controller settings? I
installed 11.3 but dont seem to have any luck

See;

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi there,

That is a bug that has been present on CrossOver for quite some
time. Controllers do work, but accessing the Steam controller
settings does not work :/

Best,
Meredith

That’s a known issue due to the ancient version of OpenGL on macOS, if Steam was fully 64Bit it might have been possible to use DXVK dlls but that’s not the case.

Big Picture mode explains the issue when you attempt to launch it, the required DirectX extensions are not supported.

Hi,
I'm a total newb at, well everything. I'm ambitious though, and want to play skyrim on my M1 mac so I bought crossover. I hate using the keyboard. Is there a controller that will work? I was thinking of getting a Ps4 controller but I don't want to get it if it won't work with crossover. I really love this software so far. After trying unsuccessfully to figure out the wine method on my own, you guys did the work for me and I appreciate it!

PS I have big sur 11.5.2 in case that makes a difference

I have a xbox one controller wireless and it works flawlessly

I'm running macOS Monterey 12.0.1 with the M1 Max.

Playing games like Rocket League with the DXVK backend works flawlessly with a gamepad (Xbox Series 2 Elite).

The same cannot be said of other games like Sekiro. The Xbox gamepad doesn't get recognized. I also tried the Switch Pro Controller, it gets recognized but it starts spinning uncontrollably (Resident Evil 2 Remake also has this issue).

Toggling the DXVK backend off makes the controller work for Sekiro. Albeit with a severe performance drop.

What makes the DXVK backend unable to have proper gamepad support?

Hi, I believe I'm having similar issues.

I'm trying to use a Xbox One S controller via bluetooth with Crossover 21.1 to play Rocket League, but in the gamepads tab for my bottle it looks like Crossover grabs the wrong axis' for different axis'.

Ex. both of the triggers are being read as the right analogue stick(Rx, Ry) and the right analogue stick seems to be driving the triggers as well.
I can confirm that in rocket league nothing works right. Some face buttons also seem to be swapped in game.

Hello,

Here the Control itself works, but I cannot see the controller settings, maybe a font or something is missing? I see a screen with blank squares with checkboxes on the left side.
No idea, how to select the right entries blind. Or maybe some other mode to get this working? Issue I have with Elite Dangerous, it shows up as DualShock4 Controller, but with Buttons of XBox(360). So I copied the XBox360 .binds to custom binds, changed every instance of Device="GamePad" to Device="DualShock4" - and it almost works. Sadly the double bindings do not works, which makes it virtually unplayable. Like if you press circle + pad-down you should retract/extend landing gear, but it also does the boost, which should only trigger on a short press in circle alone. Same with the other 3 "main"-buttons. I.e. opening menu for landing permission will deploy weapons, and so on.
If this can be fixed somehow within trial period, I will buy Crossover. I suspect that it could work to switch from Playstation Controller Support to Xbox Controller Support, but as I don't see what I check/uncheck … now only the first checkbox is checked.
Maybe I could try just to randomly check some boxes and re-run the game to see if it works?! Or is there a better way?

Hi!
M1 MacBook Pro 16" here, macOS 12.5.1.

My Xbox Series controller seems to have low refresh rate in CrossOver and Firefox (https://gamepad-tester.com/), while it works perfectly in Chrome (the same tester page). In CrossOver it creates two entries for a single gamepad: "Xbox Wireless Controller" (not detecting any keystrokes on testing tab) and "Controller (Xbox One For Windows)", which gives low refresh rate keystrokes.

My Xbox One controller has the same behaviour as the Xbox Series one in Firefox (low refresh rate), Chrome (high/normal refresh rate), but in CrossOver only the "Xbox Wireless Controller" entry is created and it doesn't register any keystrokes (as for the Xbox Series controller for this entry).

I am not sure if this is related to Rosetta2. Is there something we could do about it or is it purely macOS on M1 thing?

PS. Just to state this, the Xbox Series controller really creates two entries in CrossOver. The "Xbox Wireless Controller" entry is not anything like a leftover from the Xbox One controller, I tested it carefully :)

PS2. Here is a video of the problem. This is the Xbox Series controller. On the right side there is Chrome: LINK. If you still see low quality video (Google processing sucks), try downloading.

1 to 38 of 38

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicWdzVzQ1dm1Ha3RGYjd4cSIsImdkcHIiOjB9