CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Thinking of buying, but applications don’t show in compatibility results. Can somebody check for me?

I’m thinking of getting an M1 13” MacBook Pro, but I’m hesitant because there are some key Windows programs I’ve gotten use to and depend on in cases. Can somebody tell me or test if I can run them with CrossOver on an M1? Is that okay to ask here?

The programs I wish to be able to run are mostly used through command line...
Streamlink
ffmpeg
youtube-dl

I know there are some apps that use those as a base that run natively on Mac, but I’ve taken a liking to customizing my commands to fit my needs.

Thanks for hearing me out and sorry if I unintentionally broke any forum rules or anything.

I wouldn't expect these programs to appear in the compatibility list. As open source command-line programs, you can simply use Homebrew (brew.sh) to run these command-line programs natively (right now, through Rosetta 2) on the M1 Mac. I've confirmed that all three programs exist in Homebrew. I love CrossOver, but it's meant for Windows applications. Most command-line programs are open source. On the Mac, Homebrew is the easiest way to install these programs. You'll want to make a copy of the Terminal program and tell it to run in Rosetta since Homebrew (probably, some of the command-line programs) isn't ready to be run native on the M1 yet.

Bob Carpenter

As I’ve been on a Windows laptop for the past several years and I’ve never heard of Homebrew on a Mac so I may not fully understand what your talking about, but I do so love to research new things. 🤓 Thanks for telling me about Homebrew, running in Rosetta, and giving me a direction to go with this. 😉 I wasn’t sure where to take my searches next and you’ve really helped me out.

The utility’s your listing should all have macOS versions via ether Homebrew or Macports.

CrossOver is more useful for playing Windows games and running native Windows only software.

Most open-source software may provide macOS packages or can be installed by ether Homebrew or Macports it’s also possible you could compile it yourself from source but that’s not always so simple for projects that mainly target Linux.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTXJmNHVTa2h6UEFMdmQ3UCIsImdkcHIiOjB9