CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Anno 1503 and Anno 1701 on Crossover 21.2 (M1 MBP)

Hi! I'm recently experiencing problems with running Anno 1503 and Anno 1701 on a 13' MacBook Pro with M1 CPU, 16 GB RAM.

Both don't even reach a game screen but fail silently (Anno 1503) or say that Direct3D can't be initialized (Anno 1701). I am pretty sure that I was able to run both games a few months ago on the same computer with a previous CrossOver version.

The logfile for Anno 1503 shows the following error:

0100:err:display:macdrv_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 800x600x32 @0!
0100:err:system:ChangeDisplaySettingsExW Changing L"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1" display settings returned -2.

The logfile for Anno 1701 shows something similar:

00ec:err:display:macdrv_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 1024x768x32 @0!
00ec:err:system:ChangeDisplaySettingsExW Changing L"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1" display settings returned -2.

System config:

CrossOver 21.2.0.33926
macOS Version 10.16 (Build 21G83)
Mac model: MacBookPro17,1

Does anybody have an idea what's going wrong there? I found something related on the wine forum (https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=30479), but I can't apply the workaround that is mentioned there as the virtual desktop option is greyed out in the wine config.

Maybe you activated "High resolution mode" on that bottle? could you check that out?

Feels like your bottle resolution and game resolution do not match to me, you could try setting your resolution manually via regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG-System-Currentcontrolset-Control-Video and keep opening folders till you see "MonitorID0" registry, there should be two different registry keys in there:

DefaultSettings.XResolution (1440 in my case)
DefaultSettings.YResolution (900 in my case)
DefaultSettings.BitsPerPel. (this should be 32)

Try to modify those to match each game (values are normally hexadecimal, change that to decimal).

Please consider that I'm no expert, just trying to figure out the problem as I'd normally do!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Israel wrote:

Maybe you activated "High resolution mode" on that bottle? could you check that out?

I've had already tried activating and deactivating all these bottle options, but none of them had any effect, the log said the same as before.

Israel wrote:

Feels like your bottle resolution and game resolution do not match to me, you could try setting your resolution manually via regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG-System-Currentcontrolset-Control-Video and keep opening folders till you see "MonitorID0" registry, there should be two different registry keys in there:

DefaultSettings.XResolution (1440 in my case)
DefaultSettings.YResolution (900 in my case)
DefaultSettings.BitsPerPel. (this should be 32)

I've just tried this, unfortunately it had no effect :(

Hi there,

The reason the games don't work anymore is not due to a change in CrossOver, but a change to macOS. Apple dropped support for certain resolutions from their displays with a macOS update, so if a game defaults to an unsupported resolution, the game won't work.

We're looking into a solution on our end for this, but it will be quite involved. The only known workarounds are using an external monitor that does support that resolution, or seeing if there is a configuration file that you can edit to change the default resolution.

Best,
Meredith

Hi Meredith, thanks for the explanation!

I’m guessing the only viable solution would be to simply fake the resolution change and then use the fshack to stretch to the current resolution.

The hard part being the fshack

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiY0F6blBXWEF0RlQ0UVVYRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9