CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

do i need both?

hi, i want to be able to play games via steam but i also need genstat (statistics program that's windows only) for my current uni course, i have tested and genstat works with cross over mac.

so would i be expected to purchase both versions of crossover just to be able to run games and an app? is there some sort of bundle, or can i run this app with crossover games?

For the moment if you purchase Crossover Pro or Crossover Mac then Crossover Games is included in the price. This is a temporary offer and as the code lines diverge between the products they'll eventually become unbundled.

Hello, I am just finding out about Crossover and been demoing CrossOver mac for the past few hours. Wow. It actually runs some of my audio production software with wineasio, I can't believe how well it works MOST of the time. I am wondering, if CrossOver games is more appropriate for what I am doing? CrossOver mac did not include Wineasio, I had to manually install it. I also had to manually install a few other DLL's here and there as they have come up, like MFC42u.dll and gdiplus.dll.

I will probably buy your product as I like the GUI configuration that you provide and ability to add win32 apps to my OSX dock. I haven't tried the free wine yet though, maybe I should, but I like to support your efforts also so I will probably buy crossover anyway. But just wondering about this Games version and what all is different besides the inclusion of DX. I supposed I could always just install the real DX9, though that is probably not allowed per MS licensing, but is that the main difference, that you guys have your own version of DX built into the Games version and not CrossOver Mac?

You said that for a limited time if I buy CrossOver mac I get Games too..is that a temporary thing in so much that in the future I would need to also purchase Games if it turns out I really need it?

I don't plan to do any game playing, only audio production that uses wineasio and might occasionally need to use DX based audio plugins...if they work...but I'm not sure yet whether they will work with JackOSX or not.

At the core of Crossover is Wine, and currently Crossover Games has a newer Wine core than Crossover Office. However that's going to change very soon with the release of Crossover Office 7 in the next month or so, and then Crossover Office will have the newer Wine core.

Eventually the code between the two programs is going to diverge enough that if you need to use Crossover each day for production work, I'd pick up Crossover Office and use that since it should be more stable and tested then Crossover Games.

I just wanted to add that both product lines share the code, since everything goes back into the open source Wine project. The main difference is that that CrossOver Games is updated more often, at the expense of less testing, and CrossOver is more tested at the expense of slower update cycles.

sixmac wrote:

hi, i want to be able to play games via steam but i also need
genstat (statistics program that's windows only) for my current uni
course, i have tested and genstat works with cross over mac.

so would i be expected to purchase both versions of crossover just
to be able to run games and an app? is there some sort of bundle, or
can i run this app with crossover games?

Sorry sixmac, but I was trying without success to install GenStat in my mac with crossover. I think the last version of crossover made it impossible to use genstat. Could you confirm this? Or did you managed to make GenStat to work with crossover, if so how can I do it?

Cheers

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUm11dmVhOXBaYkc4WkNZTiIsImdkcHIiOjB9