CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Burning with Crossover

Okay, I am trying to burn a 7g .iso to a DL, and the only way I hear is successful is to use imgburn, so I went ahead and installed imgburn using Crossover, since I had so many problems using VMWare to do it, and the app installed fine, but no device detected. Is there a setting I am missing in Crossover to recognize my optical drive?
Thanks!

I am not entirely sure if burning works at all. I think it should work for SCSI and SATA writers if SCSI passthrough is available(this is not the case on macos). On ATA/IDE drives you'll need the ide-scsi module on Linux to talk to the device via the scsi api.

However, it might be that we're missing something in crossover so writing cds might not work at all.

Yeah, I have tried everything I know to get it to attempt to read it, and been failing. I failed using a Virtual Machine for some odd reason, and was hoping(since I have never attempted burning using Crossover) this trusty app would do the trick. But I was wrong. At least in Mac OS.
Oh well, at least the program installed fine, I have yet to have ONE program not install, and I've installed a heck of a lot of unsupported progs.
Thanks you guys, keep up the good work!

Jordan

This is probably a MacOS limitation. MacOS does not allow SCSI passthrough to drives which are not CD writers(doesn't apply in your case), or are mounted. There is some special setup needed for SCSI passthrough even then, and CrossOver doesn't do this, and I guess neither does your VM. Apple calls this a security measure, but I personally do not see any security justification for this. This limitation is a major problem for us, especially with copy protection.

However, I would be surprised if you can't find a Mac app suitable for your needs.

Best regards, and thanks for using CrossOver,
Stefan

Yeah, I understand, but, my VM does recognize the drive fine, but applying the layer break(since imgburn seems to be the only thing that will do it) has caused some problem, or something, but the prog sends up an error and won't burn, but it at least recognizes the drive.
I don't know, I'll try to find some burning app that will do this for OS X.
Thanks for your help!

Jordan

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicmdiOWZxYXk4ZTNLdkphdyIsImdkcHIiOjB9