CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Bug in CrossOver 6.2.1 - causes instant segfault - tracked to MS Intellitype software

I downloaded the trial version of CxMac, and it refused blankly to run, coming up with the application quit unexpectedly dialog box. This is on OS X 10.5.3.

Running in a shell revealed this:

richard-aspdens-macpro31:Applications rick$ CrossOver.app/Contents/MacOS/CrossOver 
2008-06-06 21:44:36.262 CrossOver[4365:10b] Setting DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=/Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/X11/lib:/Users/rick/lib:/usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib
2008-06-06 21:44:39.106 CrossOver[4365:10b] 

Release Date: 18 December 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Build Operating System: Mac OS X Apple Computer, Inc.
Current Operating System: Darwin richard-aspdens-macpro31.local 9.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.3.0: Fri May 23 00:49:16 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.5.18~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
    Before reporting problems, check http://www.codeweavers.com/support/
    to make sure that you have the latest version.
Could not find keymapping file USA.keymapping.
Reading keymap from the system.
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.CrossOver should be set to root
Loading GLX bundle glxCGL.bundle (using Apple's OpenGL)
Display mode: Rootless Quartz -- Xplugin implementation
PseudoramiX screen 0 added: 1920x1179 @ (0,21).
PseudoramiX screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).
[DRI] screen 0 installation complete
Screen 0 added: 1920x1179 @ (0,21)
Screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).
Keyboard is TISInputSource, but has no Unicode key layout data
Segmentation fault

I traced this back to my keyboard layout. I have a Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 PC keyboard plugged in, which comes with it's own British English keyboard layout in the Microsoft Intellitype for Mac OS X. Selecting the Apple version of British English allowed CxMac to run perfectly well, albeit with my @ and " swapped, amongst other things.

I'd have put this through the support system or bug tracker, but the former isn't available to me as I haven't bought it yet, and the latter is closed for bug reports.

This shouldn't be a particularly hard one to reproduce - the software with the layouts is available at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/ , and the drivers are a free download.

• Rick

This issue should be cleared up when Crossover Office 7 for Mac comes out. There's also a nice app I use called ControllerMate (www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/) which allows you to customize pretty much everything on your keyboard and mouse.

I've found the solution to this particular bug - it relates to the X server itself, rather than CxMac in particular - I ended up swapping to a Darwine image, and running from there, and got a little further.

Turns out the issue is actually with Xquartz, namely this little bug - http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/ticket/138

X doesn't like non-standard .rsrc style keyboard layouts. I converted my custom layouts to XML versions, and they now work 100% perfectly, where before the X server would just die on launch (I also upgraded to the latest Xquartz.) The newest version of Xquartz actually works around this bug, so that would fix it in the meantime. This also fixes your crash-on-launch issue, which is actually being caused by the X server dying before it gets launched properly.

The latest version of Xquartz, 2.3.1 beta 1, contains the workaround. Link is off the above trac ticket.

Hope that helps you and your users!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiM2Z3TFdDSjVzbVlyWjZ2UyIsImdkcHIiOjB9