CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CrossOver Mac vs. CrossOver Games

I am interested in being able to run some Windows applications (i.e. Internet Explorer 7 for certain web apps that require it), but would also like the flexibility of running some Windows based games from time to time (i.e. Day of Defeat...).

Does this require both CrossOver Mac and CrossOver Games, or will one of these applications work for both?

Thanks

Actually IE7 won't run in Crossover (http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/IE7WhyNotWork) due to it being installed via service packs that are applied to Windows XP, and there is no Windows XP in Crossover.

You can get trial versions of either program and try them out first, and for a limited time if you purchase Crossover Pro you get Crossover Games included.

What is the difference between these two products. Can crossover games run the same stuff at the normal crossover? I'm thinking of simple not graphic intensive apps? I think splitting the product line like this was a mistake.

The difference is the testing we do. Both products are built from the same codebase, although different versions, so its not exactly the same code. CrossOver Mac is tested and has official support for office apps, while CrossOver Games focuses of games. Of course you can try to install Microsoft Office as unsupported app in CrossOver Games, or install Steam in CrossOver Mac. It will probably work, but if you run into problems we don't give support for such setups.

The point of splitting the product line up was more release flexibility. In March, when we released CrossOver Games, we had good new gaming support stuff, but Office 2007 support, which was on our must-have list for CrossOver 7, was far from done. The split allowed us to give our games users some long-wanted fixes without having to wait for office support to complete.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiMnRKOVo5WmdVTThUSGdQdCIsImdkcHIiOjB9