CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover open, DVD Player hoses, Hard Hard Shutdown... External Firewire Drive Corrupted?

Coincidence??? Or dangerous???

I'm just checking here before I start a Diskwarrior on my external iomega ultramax 2 disk Raid 1 disk...

I'm concerned if Crossover (accessing my external HFS firewire drive) could have caused some serious damage. Is that possible (knowing very little of how the bottles access my Mac drives)?

I had to do a hard shutdown (dash it all) and now my 500Gb Raid 1 (Mirror) is not working.

Disk Utility says:

Verifying volume “Shmingup”
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid key length
Volume check failed.
Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions or comments?

Thanks much.

James
(using Trial of Crossover. Thanks to Intel it Runs Windows Dreamweaver 8 faster than Mac Dreamweaver 8!)

CrossOver cannot do damage to your hardware, since it is MacOS' job to prevent a user mode application like CrossOver from harming your harddrive. If CrossOver causes damage accidentally, then a virus could deliberately break your hardware.

Similar rules apply to hard crashes: It is the operating system's job to prevent user mode apps from crashing the systems. If there is a crash, it is a MacOS bug by definition.

CrossOver accesses the hard drives like any other Mac app does. MacOS mounts it, binds them to a directory in /Volumes/. CrossOver requests a list of mounted volumes from MacOS, and shows a new drive letter with the contents of the directory in /Volumes/.../ to the app. When the app opens a file, CrossOver uses the regular MacOS file access functions to handle the request.

Stefan,

Thanks for the clarification. So, most likely, it's whatever particular thing that was happening while I did the hard shutdown that somehow messed up the disk data. I wish I knew what that was.

Result:

I bought Disk Warrior 4.1 and "rebuilt" the directory. And within 2 minutes (on my 500Gb drive), I had a brand new optimized fully working read-only directory of my disk drive and a bunch of recovered files (I believe stuff I had already trashed?). Before I do anything more, I'll backup the entire disk. Then I'll have Disk Warrior replace the directory and it'll be all fixed.

Thanks again!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRnA3ckhUZGdMUzlxNEtLMyIsImdkcHIiOjB9