CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

one of my test apps

I am a tester for a few applications, all of which I have had a degree of success with. But I wonder if anyone would have a work around for the sole problem with one of my applications, admittedly a rather esoteric app. WinMekMak - it is a conjugation program for all Turkish tenses and moods. Great program and it runs and conjugates perfectly on CrossOver and even displays the proper character set. The only problem, as I have described on its site, is that the upper quadrant of the application where the conjugations appear SHOULD be in RFT formatting (I have this from the developer); i.e. separate entries for the pronoun, and color coding for the suffixes added to the root. This formatting which is after all cross compatible with Mac anyway is not working. The root of the verb appears in white which should be black (almost unreadable), and the other colors are also different from what was intended (but at least readable), and all the forms are run together in one continuous line instead of separate lines and columns. (If you look at the screenshot, you'll see what I mean.) Turning off the color coding results in all text being in white!!

Does anyone know how this might be "fixed" or alternatively can anyone think of a work around that would make the text easier to read? It is invaluable to me in my correspondence.

Thanks.

Further to my own question. It has occurred to me that a solution might be as simple as a missing Windows system file. In working with another of my apps. (Irfanview) a missing dll was all I needed to get the program working. I am wondering, since Wordpad is not included in the basic CrossOver Windows bottle generations (whereas Notepad is), perhaps there are Windows system files needed for RTF that are missing. I added successfully the CrossOver HTML engine, but that didn't seem to address my problem.

Any thoughts on adding missing files, or even an RTF editing program to the bottle?

Thanks.

Might not be just the case of a missing Windows system file, but more that the Windows library doesn't even exist yet in Wine. Crossover (and Wine at its core) is still being written and tested by a small group of coders who are mostly volunteers, there's still big chunks of the Windows OS that haven't been reverse-engineered yet. If you own a copy of Windows though you could probably grab Wordpad.exe from there and run it in Crossover if that would help.

Andrew Balfour wrote:

Might not be just the case of a missing Windows system file, but
more that the Windows library doesn't even exist yet in Wine.
Crossover (and Wine at its core) is still being written and tested
by a small group of coders who are mostly volunteers, there's still
big chunks of the Windows OS that haven't been reverse-engineered
yet. If you own a copy of Windows though you could probably grab
Wordpad.exe from there and run it in Crossover if that would help.

I'll give the Wordpad.exe a try and see what happens. I presume I need one that corresponds to the bottle's OS, though. I have ME, but not 2000, which is the bottle I'm working with. Or has Wordpad changed that much? Any idea? Many thanks in any case.

It's probably been the same app from Windows 98 on, I doubt it will have any trouble running in win2000 from winMe.

I gave Wordpad.exe a try. It did run, but had some bizarre behavior. Fonts, colors, and most formatting were okay, but line wraps were non-existent, and printing was a no-no. But of course, my whole point was to see if the RTF environment would give me the proper formatting in my Turkish Language program WinMekMak. Alas it did not. I tried a few other simple RTF editors with equally unsatisfactory results. One would not run at all. However in the process, I found one very good RTF Text Editor which installs and runs beautiful in a Windows 2000 bottle. It is Angel Writer 3.1 which I shall be submitting as a new advocated app.

Two of my three current test apps work extremely well, and the subject of this thread, WinMekMak, works perfectly except for this one formatting issue, and even that wouldn't be an issue except that "white" fonts are not exactly easy to read! All the complex parts of the program work so well, I just can't rest until I find a way to resolve the only one that doesn't. So it is back to the drawing board. All suggestions are welcome.

By the way, I should say that I think CrossOver is incredible. Bravo to you all!!

Please note on the Application Introduction page that the developer has agreed to work on this problem with me. Already a newly written RFT encoding on a development version has fixed the line formatting, so the color issue alone remains. I am very pleased that he developer is cooperating to produce a release version which, I believe, will be fully functional on CrossOver.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicTloNUNNenhNOXZldTNkbiIsImdkcHIiOjB9