CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

FAQ: Could testing an unsupported application in CrossOver break my Mac?

I think this is an important question. I'd like to try several of my favorite Windows programs, but I am not sure if I run the risk of corrupting my Mac, OS, or losing data?

Of course there are no guarantees, but realistically, What's the risk?

Regards,

Matt

I'd say realistically there is probably less risk than you would have running the same app on Windows. Many people use hundreds of apps daily on Wine and I've never heard of any data loss. I myself have tested a wide range of apps under Crossover and Wine and at worst the app just won't run.

As you say, there are no guarantees, but you're pretty safe.

Check out the compatibility list and the Wine app database - most apps are on there.

Generally if it works in Wine it will work on Crossover, not necessarily vice-versa.

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/
http://appdb.winehq.org/

CrossOver is self contained. Usually all a misbehaving application could do is corrupt the virtual Windows environment we create. I've done some pretty strange things with CrossOver over the years, I've never had a case were it corrupted the host OS. Note, I'm not saying it's impossible, just unlikely.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZkt1UlRrVWhIQVJXeVFhWCIsImdkcHIiOjB9