CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Running a windows bottle with administrator privileges

I have a Windows app that I'm trying to run via Crossover, in an XP bottle. The problem is that the program insists that it needs admin privileges to work properly.

Is there any way specify that the "user" in a bottle is an administrator, or is this simply a symptom of a program that isn't going to run under Crossover. My Mac account has admin privileges, if it matters.

For the record, the app is First Steps, a kids learning app by Comfy.

Thanks

This error usually means that the account attempting to install the software into the system is not an administrator. The admin account may be more successful in installation. It also may mean that 'repair privileges' may need to be run.

Have you considered submitting First Steps to our Compatibility Center?
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/

This will allow other users to post possible solutions to get this software running and will also let our development team know that there is interest in this software (as well as, if the program installs, allow you to share what you did to get it running with others so that they can enjoy the program as well).

Thank you!

HI, Thanks for this thread...The 'administrator privledges' problem has happened to me in both CX linux and CX mac. Currently, I'm trying to install CorelDraw 10 Graphics Suite, which, by the way, installed and worked flawlessly in the previous CX mac version 6.something.

I'm using CX7 on my Mac, and have not been able to launch the program I've installed due to a similar error stating that there is 'Insufficient Privileges' and that I must be the administrator to run the program for the first time (The program I'm trying to run is S.T.A.L.K.E.R Clear Sky - no posts about it yet on the compatibility forum yet to help).

I'm using the main admin account in my Mac, which is running OSX 10.5.4.

This seems to be a pretty common problem - is there a way to tell the bottle to treat the windows XP bottle to run as an admin account?

CrossOver always claims you're administrator.

There are two possible issues: The app is doing something that MacOS doesn't allow, for example opening raw ICMP sockets. This is pretty uncommon.

The more likely thing is that the "you're not administrator" warning is misleading, and the application failed to load a copy protection driver or something similar.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiM1JSVEhYOWdZNXBnd0hNVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9