CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

unsupported program installs, but then it's not there!

About a year ago I created a .msi installation file on a program (and I can't remember how I created it, it wasn't with advanced installer I don't think) I wrote and if I try and install that program today it shows up in the crossover run list. I've been trying to install some new programs I wrote and cannot for the life of me get the program to show up in the run list. I tried installing a simple .exe file, a program in a new .msi installation file (made with advanced installer), a standard .exe installation file and all of them show success when installing, but when I then look at the bottle the program is suppose to be in, the program is simply not there. The only program i'm able to install and find is the one from the old installer I created a year ago. What am I doing wrong.

I might not be understanding this exactly, but if there's no shortcut app icon created when you install the Windows program you can create one manually by doing https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/create_launcher

Thanks for the reply, but the problem I'm having is that the program file is simply nowhere on the computer to be found after a "successful" installation. For example, I have a package called progect1setup.msi and I install it with crossover. The installation package (Advanced Installer) opens and I click typical setup and crossover completes the installation and says it's successful, but then when I look at the bottle where I would normally find the installed program listed, it's not listed. If a do a search in the entire computer for "project1" with no extension (the original .exe program is called project1.exe) the program is nowhere to be found and I would expect to find a project1.(something) to show up somewhere but only the original .msi file shows up. Does crossware change the name of the file to something else?

You can dig into the bottle https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/programfiles and see if there's any .exe to run, but probably what's happening is the installer is failing to work.

I've seen numerous times where the installer goes through the motions and looks like it completed, only to find there are no actual files in the bottle.

Depending on the installer .exe you can sometimes load .NET, Visual C++, or XML into the bottle first and then run the installer .exe against that and it'll work. But if that still doesn't place any files then the installer itself just isn't going to work in Crossover. The only workaround in that case is to try copying the C:/Program Files/yourapp over from a Windows machine into a Crossover bottle and try running the .exe that way.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUXNwZEJkYmhtOW13dUZRQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9