CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Launching Win application via Ubuntu autostart

Forgive me if this has been done to death before but I can't find anything by searching. I want to start a win application (MailWasher Pro 6.5.4) from autostart in Ubuntu 14.04. I tried adding ~/.cxoffice/MailWasherPro/drive_c/Program Files/FireTrust/MailWasher Pro/MailWasher.exe to~/.config/autostart BUT it doesn't start the actual app - it seems to start the set-up wizard ☹️

MWP 6.5 .4 runs fine from Crossover BTW.

I am obviously missing something.

John Warr wrote:

I am obviously missing something.

Yeah, you're missing the manual, the section you will find the explanation in is titled "Running Windows applications from the command line".. This is the Linux manual, and it explains the command line arguments, which is expected by the Linux folks like myself. Obviously, the Mac manual is built with the idea that Mac users don't want to know about command lines. At the very least, I couldn't find that info in there... Don't complain to me, I have nothing to do with it... 😋

What you're doing wrong is that you're just pointing to the windows executable, as if it runs on its own on Mac (or Linux):

~/.cxoffice/MailWasherPro/drive_c/Program Files/FireTrust/MailWasher Pro/MailWasher.exe

The problem is that you must invoke the translation layer that allows it to run, in this case Wine/Crossover. I'm avoiding here the mention of escape characters when using paths with space in them, I'll save that for later. At the simplest, something more like the following is needed:

~/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle MailWasherPro --cx-app MailWasher.exe

You will notice that we precisely invoke wine, tell it which bottle, and then let it search that bottle, via cx-app, for the correct executable. This is all true, provided that the script cx-app exists in the Mac version of Crossover. If the stuff I wrote above doesn't work, I think you should open a support ticket with the staff. I'm sure that if my stuff fails, they have a way to do it for Macs.

Wait... Are you using Mac or Ubuntu? You did post in the Mac forum... You're trying to confuse me aren't you? 😀

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibWNzTXVIRmNheFBZNnA0diIsImdkcHIiOjB9