CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

1st time using, wanted to use with RootsMagic7 but see strange message

I already have program on my MacBook but have a few issues. Selected Rootsmagic 7 & notice there are 3 messages on page "Select Bottle" page (before clicking on "Install"), it says "Crossover will install into a new Windows XP bottle named RootsMagic 7".
[b]Windows XP??, should it not say Windows 7??
This computer has never run XP, only Windows7
Any opinons,? suggestions? advice?

Thanks,
Susan

Hi Susan,

I think you're missing a few key concepts, which the manual would have cleared up, but I can point you in the right direction. I will be referring to pages of the manual where appropriate.

To start with, Windows and Crossover aren't directly related. What Windows version you ran at one point has nothing to do with the "bottles" that Crossover creates. A bottle is an isolated unit in which each software is installed on its own, preventing interference between them. The bottles "declare" themselves as a certain version of Windows, which at this point is winXP by default. This is because, believe it or not, generally winXP is still the best choice. You can choose the windows version when you install, as per the manual, in this link's section. If your software actually requires win7 and up, you can no doubt select that as a bottle windows version.

Keep in mind that Crossover could be conceived of as a translator. It "translates" Windows type instructions into instructions for your OS. Like all translations, it is possible the translation is incorrect or incomplete. Crossover does have a large "Windows vocabulary" if you will, but it doesn't translate the totality of the "Windowsian language" (metaphors employed here, not technical terms 😀 ). Hence, some stuff works, some stuff doesn't. Crossover does make the Windows software believe it's on an actual Windows PC, but there is no actual "emulation", nor is there a single bit from Windows in Crossover. That means even if winXP is now defunct, it doesn't matter, you won't be running old insecure code / OS at all.

In other words, you were on the right track. Unless your software refuses to install on a winXP version bottle, you don't even have to care.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR0VaZUp3UVE2c1B0azJLWiIsImdkcHIiOjB9