CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Windows XP expiring on 3/1/2017?

I just submitted the following Ticket to Code Weavers and thought to ask if anyone else is having a similar issue.

[i]"Last couple of days whenever I launch STO. I get a Windows type message saying that the program will not run starting March 1, 2017 because it's running on Windows XP which will no longer be supported starting on the same day; it also says that I need to upgrade to Windows Vista Service Pack 2or higher (as well as DirectX 10 or higher) in order to resume use of the program. Do you know anything about this? Do have any plans to fix this potential problem coming in the future.

I've taken a screen shot of the message for further review: see attachment.[/i] Sorry can't make the attachment here.

Oh and the program runs normally once I hit okay, if it makes any difference."

Feel free to pitch in.

Yeah, that can be a problem, as bottles usually default to reporting themselves as winxp. That is simply a fiction, a bottle isn't any version of windows, it just says it is. Recent software might insist on having newer than XP, so you might have to change that setting.

That being said, the version of windows a bottle says it is can be changed at installation time, or using wine configuration tool, which you can learn more about here:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-mac/bottlesintro (Not all that much text, but you'll know where to find it, and since I'm no Mac guru...)

Basically, in the very first tab you will be presented with in the configuration tool, you can just change the windows version. It won't change much other that what the bottle says that it is. It might make it some that programs expect different things to be available, but it is little more complicated than flipping a switch. You can try different versions and see which one is best. Changing this setting can be done at any time.

If you change windows version in wineconfig it will be reset with the next crossover update. Crossover uses different templates for various windows configurations, so the clean way is to create a new bottle for another windows version and re-install the contents.

Bachsau wrote:

If you change windows version in wineconfig it will be reset with
the next crossover update. Crossover uses different templates for
various windows configurations, so the clean way is to create a new
bottle for another windows version and re-install the contents.

For some of us playing STO, trying to reinstall the contents would be a significant undertaking, given the size of the game. Would that there were some "cloner" app within CrossOver that would copy and map things to the clean copy without having to spend the better part of a day waiting for the game and all the relevant patches, updates, etc to be downloaded again into the computer. :(

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQnhXcHZ5Q1dYZWtLSHVCMyIsImdkcHIiOjB9