CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Username

When I create a new bottle, the user account created under users is always crossover (drive_c -> users -> crossover). Is there a way to create a bottle with a different username?

We do that so that a bottle can be exported to an archive and re-imported by different users, and always have settings remain intact.

You can turn off part of that behavior by setting the environment variable CX_REPORT_REAL_USERNAME. However, that will not change the location of the user profile - it will still be c:\users\crossover. It will only change the username reported to Windows applications by GetUserName().

If that still sounds useful for your case, you can try looking in ~/Library/Application Support/Bottles/<bottle name>/cxbottle.conf.

At the bottom, there is an [EnvironmentVariables] section.

I think if you add

"CX_REPORT_REAL_USERNAME" = "1"

to that, it should change the username as described above. Your regular macOS unix username is what you will get in that case.

However, that may not be what you want. There is not a facility for creating a bottle with an arbitrary username, that I know of.

The default is always user, which in my experience doesn't seem to make any difference. Any particular reason you want to change it?

We have an Unlisted application that uses the username as the ID to start the application and everyone has to have a different ID. The application will not let us input the ID. This has caused us problems for years and we now have to find a new way around this without moving to Windows computers. Josh's answer worked. Thank you.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOTh4eFhKRVhHU1NSTFZLcCIsImdkcHIiOjB9