CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

De-verdwenen-kleuren-van-Van-Gogh_Win_NL_ISO-Version… need help to install.

Hi Folks! I have a very old person in my house who saw this game I had downloaded from Abandonware. He has begged me and my wife to make it work for him but I have not been able to get it to work. Here's the translated notes for the app and install instructions: Remarks 'Vincent van Gogh's lost colors' uses a 3D engine whose screen functions run entirely on Direct 3D, the 3D module of Microsoft's DirectX extension for Windows 95. The product uses a 16bit display (65536 colors) for graphic reasons and a Direct 3D mode. Its performance is limited without a 3D graphics card. For better results, we advise users to purchase such a graphics card (which is widely used nowadays for 3D games on PC). Although "The Lost Colors of Vincent van Gogh" and Windows will work with 16 Mb of memory, it is still recommended to have 32 Mb of free disk space. This will significantly improve the performance of Windows and other applications. Minimum configuration Pentium 200 or higher 32 MB RAM or more Windows 98 256 colors 16 bit sound card CD-ROM drive (4 x speed) Installation If the installation does not start automatically when the CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive, double-click INSTALL.EXE in the root directory of the CD-ROM. If DirectX 5 or DirectShow are not installed, the installer will suggest installing them on the PC. 3) Starting the product When starting the game, you must enter your name. This allows you to save your game. 4) Uninstalling "Vincent van Gogh's Lost Colors" In the Start menu, under "Programs", open the Lannoo program group, then "The Lost Colors" and double-click the "Remove the Lost Colors" icon. 5) Recommendations With some sound cards, the volume change does not work when the CD is connected to the LINEIN input. There is no solution for this. These drivers do not control the line-in in a standard way and DirectSound cannot access their mixer functions. However, the CD audio volume will work with drivers whose CD is directly connected to the CD audio via an internal cable input. When the PowerToys Autoplay extender is installed, the music may not be heard. If so, remove the Autoplay extender before running the program. You will now hear the music. Most CD-ROM players lock the machine for a fraction of a second when the music is playing. This phenomenon is not directly related to "The Lost Colors of Vincent van Gogh". You may have to reboot the system during installation. This happens when DirectX files need to be updated. The result is that you have to manually restart the installation when the system has been restarted. If you have more than 1 CD-ROM player, please indicate which player you use for the game. This can be done in the Windows control panel. "Vincent van Gogh's Lost Colors" does not work on Windows NT 4 because the system is not compatible with Direct X version 5. IMPORTANT: Before starting with "The Lost Colors of Vincent van Gogh" it is best to close all other applications (such as Mail Notify, Getright, ICQ, anti-virus etc). These programs can use up to 2 or 3 Mb of memory which can seriously affect the performance of other applications such as games. CD-ROMs should be treated with the same caution as CD audios. If you only touch the edges of the disc, you do not need to clean it. Do not forget to put the disc back in the case when you have finished playing. Microsoft is a registered trademark and Windows is a trademark of Microsoft corporation.

I am really at a loss! I was able to get the DirectX 5 already. Thanks much in advance for any help you can render! 😎

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidFNHVDJtNlV0R3VWaGRYQiIsImdkcHIiOjB9