CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Air M2, amount of RAM

Hi
I will probably be getting the new Macbook Air M2.
Normally I would say 8 gb of RAM is fine.
And to avoid spending on extra RAM if I can avoid it.

I will be using CrossOver for a few games.

Now.. since the Air graphics RAM is shared and taken from the overall system RAM, I may run out?
Could this be an issue?
How much RAM does crossover need, and can I adjust it myself so it always has enough?
Or will it behave just like a native mac app, taking the RAM it needs?

I would be happy for any input on this.
Cheers

Hi,

Or will it behave just like a native mac app, taking the RAM it needs?

This - and the situation with shared RAM.

CrossOver can't magically change the required resources of a program or game it will run. The amount is driven by the application that is called/run via CrossOver. If you are just calling a small tool or game, that may be OK. If you are running a big AAA-Game with fancy graphic, much textures, big game maps, the amount of needed RAM may get higher - as with native apps.

Bye
Björn

Ok.

Same with how much RAM the graphics gets?
As much as it draws but within a limit?

I need to understand better how this all works.. ;)

Ohm-ish wrote:

Ok.

Same with how much RAM the graphics gets?
As much as it draws but within a limit?

I need to understand better how this all works.. ;)

You can manually set by regedit value the amount of VRAM for some programs, I do have a MBA M1 8gb and even if it performs fine for many games and programs I feel like 8gb is simply not enough even if the Mac os will start using swap memory (there was a huge problem with the amount written on the ssd like a year ago)

I'd recommend opting for the 16 gbs version or 24 gbs if you can afford it, either if you are going to use Crossover or Parallels (wich is even more reccomended to have more Ram in that case), If I could go back in time I'd opt for the option with less GPU cores with more RAM without any doubt.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidk1zWWR4dVhKTVdua1lITSIsImdkcHIiOjB9