CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Some, but not all, ocx files cannot be registered.

I'm trying to install the EZ Play DJ, which is not on the support list.  It runs in every version of Windows from XP to 10. It can be installed only by an administrator. I tried to install it into a Windows 7 bottle. I'm running this on late 2013 iMac with OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan).  The EZ Play DJ software was downloaded from here.

http://www.ezplaydj.com/download/EZPlayDJ30K.exe

During the install, I received the following error message for three ocx files, ccrpprg6.ocx, vbskpro2.ocx, andID3Edit.ocx.

Unable to register the DLL/OSX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x1.

All other ocx files were registered successfully. How can I get the EZ Play DJ installation to work in a Windows 7 or 10 bottle? Thanks.

I don't understand your need for a win7 bottle. In the end, all bottles are basically the same, and changing how the bottle describes itself doesn't matter much. In fact, if you use the wine config tool in the control panel, you can change a win7 bottle to winXP and vice versa. In other words, making a bottle a win7 bottle is only a convenience for software that insist they need win7 or better. The bottle itself won't really be that different.

So install your software in a winXP bottle, that works fine. Once done, if it is really that important, go to the control panel, and use the wine configuration tool. Right on the first tab, there's a combo box where you can change the version to 7, or whatever else you could want.

Remember, Wine / Crossover is a compatibility layer, there isn't a single bit of actual Window in it. The version of the bottle usually doesn't matter that much. The fact that winXP isn't supported by MS anymore is also irrelevant.

Thank you, J-P Simard. Using a Windows XP bottle instead of a Windows 7 bottle worked. All ocx files were registered with no problems and I was then able to start the EZ Play DJ application.

I then encountered error 429 -- ActiveX component can't create object. In the function where there error occurred the only objects that are created are ADOX objects -- Catalog, Table, and Key. The program also uses ADO and FileSystem objects elsewhere. I suspect that some additional Wine Configuration settings are needed, but I don't know which ones. Can anybody help me? Thanks.

I did have much time when I tested, so I just went for installation...

That being said, if we're talking activex, it is usually implied to have Internet explorer. I have tried that, but I'm not getting anywhere (I tried ie7 and ie6). I have checked the content of a default debug log, and again I fell on a dead end.

At this point, I don't know of a way to get this running. You should note that activeX isn't exactly popular under Windows at this time. In fact, the new win10 browser, MS Edge, won't even support activeX, as it is considered legacy technology. This software will therefore undoubtedly cease to function eventually under win10 when older version of Internet Explorer will be retired.

So at this point, unless the staff can figure things out better than me, I would think that a virtual machine would be your best choice to run the software. But even then, my experience is that sound isn't so great when going through a VM, which isn't a high recommendation for dj software.

Hank Star wrote:

I then encountered error 429 -- ActiveX component can't create
object. In the function where there error occurred the only objects
that are created are ADOX objects -- Catalog, Table, and Key. The
program also uses ADO and FileSystem objects elsewhere. I suspect
that some additional Wine Configuration settings are needed, but I
don't know which ones. Can anybody help me? Thanks.

Unfortunately ActiveX is one of those things that either 'just works' or 'just doesn't work' in Crossover. Installing IE7 in the same bottle might get you a bit further, but ActiveX can require big chunks of the Windows OS that don't exist in Crossover. In those cases the only option is a full emulator like Parallels, VirtualBox, or Boot Camp and running Windows directly.

Thanks for the responses. The activex control (Adox) which failed is used to modify jet database tables. I'm going to bypass that part of the program and see what other activex components don't work. If it turns out that only the activex controls related to the database don't work I can switch to another database system. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Maybe install Microsoft Jet 4.0 in the bottle?

Thanks. I just tried installing Jet 4.0 for XP, SP8, into my XP bottle. I got the message "Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update.". So that didn't work. I'll bypass the Adox calls and see how far I get.

You can probably bypass that problem by using winecfg to set the winver to Windows 98 or 2k, install JET 4.0 and then set the Windows version back to XP.

Thanks for the reply, Stefan.

I installed Jet 4.0 into a W2k window, switched back to XP, and tried again. I still get the error 429 -- ActiveX component can't create object. As I said before, it happens when I try to instantiate ADOX objects -- ADOX.Catalog, ADOX.Table, and ADOX,Key.

Maybe I need to install or select an additional resource of some sort.

Here are the Microsoft references selected in the References screen of VB6,

msvbvm60.dll Visual Basic for Applications
SysWow64\msvbvm60.dll Visual Basic runtime objects and procedures
vb6.olb Visual Basic objects and procedures
stdole2.tlb OLE Automation
scrrun.dll Microsoft Scripting Runtime
msado28.tlb Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2,8 Library
msadox28.tlb Microsoft ADO Ext. 2.8 for DDL and Security
wshom.ocx Windows Script Host Object Model
dao360.dll Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library
Inked.oca Microsoft InkEdit Control 1.0
TLBINF.DLL TypeLib Information
WinSubHook.tlb Windows Subclass/Hook?Timer interface 1.5
msjro.dll Microsoft Jet and Replication Objects 2.6 Library

Here are the Microsoft components selected in the Components screen of VB6

comdlg32.ocx Microsoft Common Dialog Control 6.0 (SP3)
Inked.dll Microsoft InkEdit Control 1.0

Here are the Microsoft files that I include in my installation and register.

winmm.dll
msacm32.dll
msvbvm50.dll
msstkprp.dll
comdlg32.ocx
mscomctl.ocx
mscomct2.ocx
msvcr70.dll

Can anyone suggest what I should try next? Thanks.

Well, if this is a VB6 based application, did you install VB6 in the bottle? You didn't mention anything of the sort before, or do I understand your last post wrong?

Actually I’ve tried the program with and without installing the VB6 runtime. Without installing it I have to install Jet 4.0. But I get the same results either way. I can’t get past the ADOX object instantiation.

I bypassed that part of the code and got to the next problem, however. When I attempt to load the form that contains the InkEdit control (a rich text control with more features) I get this error.

339 - Component 'Inked.dll' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

I fooled around with depends.exe (which is supposed to tell me dependencies of the control) but it didn’t give me useful information in the bottle. When I run it on a PC with Windows I learn that it is dependent upon these

MSVCRT.DLL
ADVAPI32.DLL
GDI32,DLL
KERNEL32,DLL
OLE32
OLEAUT32.DLL
USER32.DLL

and has these entry points.

DllCanUnloadNow
DllGetClassObject
DllRegisterServer
DllUnregisterServer

I don’t know how to use this information to fix the problem.

I'm stumped too...

I replaced the InkEdit controls in the program with Form Textboxes (both support unicode in VB), but that didn't work. I still get the error.

339 - Component 'FM20.DLL' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

It's back to the drawing board.

I figured out how to register dlls by running cmd.exe and regsvr32.exe (although I would have preferred to set up regsbr32 as an item in Send To, then run Explorer, navigete to the dll, and right click). I got past the error message I was getting. Now I get a new one.

7 - Out of Memory

How can I increase memory?

I've resolved most of my problems. I got ADO, ADOX, and FileSystemObject working and have no more memory errors. I will post future issues in separate threads. Thanks for all of the help.

Cool, and thanks for putting all this work into this problem! Can you share some instructions on how you got past your problems so other users who want to run the same application can get it to work as well?

(Please disregard this message if you already did that; I am not reading all forum posts that come along.)

Great idea, Stefan! Here’s how I got the FileSystemObject to work in a VB6 program. First I went to this website.

**http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?scrrun**

I clicked on the Download Zip-File button and downloaded this file.

**scrrun.dll 32 bit 5.6.0.6012**

In my CrossOver bottle menu I clicked on Open C: Drive, navigated to Windows\system32, and renamed the scrrun dll that was there to scrrunold.dll. I then pasted into the scrrun.dll that I downloaded into the system32 folder. Then I clicked on the Run Command icon and ran the file Windows\system32\cmd.exe. I entered theis command.

c:\Windows\system32> **regsvr32 scrrun.dll**

That’s it. The FileSystemObject worked.

To get ADO and ADOX working I first created an empty Windows XP bottle. Then I clicked on the Wine Configuration icon and changed it to a Windows 2000 bottle. Then in the Crossover Configure menu I clicked on Install Software. Then I expanded the Runtime Support Components in the box and installed MDAC 2.8. I changed the bottle back to a Windows XP bottle then installed Jet 4,0 and VB6 Runtime.

Then ADO and ADOX worked.

1 to 18 of 18

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidGJUM1NLTTVIZTdUOFNQTSIsImdkcHIiOjB9