CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam not working properly

I can install Steam on Mac with Crossover 19.0 alpha. Installed into win 7 64 bit bottle.

Steam opens, ask for user and password, and email code for verification that it's me. I pass all of those. Then I get to the main Steam window. Nothing loads. It shows the "Store, Library, Community" and other menu options, but nothing loads in thos windows.image

Same with me. However, I'm using version 18.5 in Mojave.

This all started happening after I installed a game ('Through the Woods' - which didn't work anyway) and 'wine-preloader' crashed. After force quitting wine-preloader, Steam cannot download any of the content used to populate its windows/tabs. Thus, it's useless.

Anything I can try doing? I tried deleting the bottle and then re-installing Steam. This did not help.

Hi folks,

What you are seeing is the result of a huge update to the Steam client itself. We are aware of how badly the Steam update broke functionality when running via CrossOver and we are actively working on a solution.

In the meantime, there is one trick I know of to launch games that you already have installed -- after launching Steam, there will be a tiny steam icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen in the Mac menu bar with the time, battery level, etc. You can click on that steam icon and it will list the last few games you played, and you can click on them in that menu to launch them.

Thanks,
Anna

Anna Lasky wrote:

Hi folks,

What you are seeing is the result of a huge update to the Steam
client itself. We are aware of how badly the Steam update broke
functionality when running via CrossOver and we are actively working
on a solution.

In the meantime, there is one trick I know of to launch games that
you already have installed -- after launching Steam, there will be a
tiny steam icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen in the
Mac menu bar with the time, battery level, etc. You can click on
that steam icon and it will list the last few games you played, and
you can click on them in that menu to launch them.

Thanks,
Anna

Awesome, thanks for keeping us in the loop Anna!

Hi everyone.

Did some testing of installing Steam in Crossover 19.0 beta 1 and here's what I discovered...

Some system stats:

— Crossover 19.0-b1 (19.0.0.32154local)
— macOS Catalina 10.15.1
— MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

How I installed Steam:

— Installed Steam via 'Install a Windows Application'
— Selected 'Download installer…'
— Chose a Windows 7 64-bit bottle
— Fonts, Steam, Wine Gecko, and XML Parser, all installed fine

What I discovered:

— Store, Library, Community, and Account pages load
— Able to 'Manage custom artwork' in the Library
— Some game pages are a bit sluggish (and occasionally crash the client)
— Downloads page works (currently downloading a game for more testing)

Do note:

— Big Picture still DOES NOT WORK (as it requires DX 11 for visual effects)

Example screenshot (hosted on my Google Drive):

— An example screenshot of my Steam library
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bNpAcEpVxTITU9rBVEKQ0Fz96or26XJJ/view?usp=sharing
— Yes, I do have custom artwork for my games (yours will probably look different)
— If you have the same games and would like the artwork, let me know!

For Codeweavers:

— If it helps, some patches in later Staging versions of Wine helped with the Steam client

--mike

The menu bar tip is great. I just bought Age of Empires II - Definitive Collection but I get an error message saying that an error occurred because of an 'Invalid Platform'. Any tips or offering of hope on this?

This doesn't fix everything, but I have been able to install and launch games from a mini-list by right clicking on Steam within Crossover, selecting "Run with Options", and adding this text to the box "-no-browser +open steam://open/minigameslist" (everything but the quotes). I cannot UNinstall anything, and you can't really DO anything other than install and launch games. You can at least do that though. This is on 18.5 and Mojave in a Win 7 64-bit bottle.

Sean Jones wrote:

This doesn't fix everything, but I have been able to install and
launch games from a mini-list by right clicking on Steam within
Crossover, selecting "Run with Options", and adding this text to the
box "-no-browser +open steam://open/minigameslist" (everything but
the quotes). I cannot UNinstall anything, and you can't really DO
anything other than install and launch games. You can at least do
that though. This is on 18.5 and Mojave in a Win 7 64-bit bottle.

Thanks for the tip! I was now able to open Steam where before it wouldn't work. Unfortunately the game I was trying to play (Prey) didn't work. Not sure if this is also due to the Steam update.

Has there been any movement to get this fixed? Steam still not working in 19.0.1 of Crossover.

Is there an update on this?

Running Catalina 10.15.4 and CrossOver 19.0.1 and Steam only shows a dark area no matter what I do. I can log in, so it's not a missing internet connection.

Just after I posted the previous commend I found a solution!

Open Steam settings check the following checkboxes:

Had the same problem, didn't see anything even with the suggested settings above, however, I was able to see the list of games when I switched to View->Small Mode, install and play.
Mojave 10.14.6
CrossOver 19.0.1.32209
Steam Build March 26, 2020
Games are running ok

In digging in the settings; thank you for the idea @Thomas Maier. I have attached a picture of the boxes that you should uncheck in steam for windows in crossover. I am running it in a windows 7x86 bottle. essentially it is all of the boxes having to do with direct rendering of steam UI. You will need to reboot steam. you should also check all of the boxes in the library tab as well as stated by @Thomas Maier Steam runs fine now.

Hi there, I found this thread and I've been trying to launch Age of Empires Difinitive Version on my Mac via Crossover and I'm not getting anywhere. After a restart it seems I get stuck in some sort of "preloader" (wine32one64 - preloader) that never goes anywhere. Is anyone else having this trouble? Any ideas what to do? I'm really bummed that I bought this game and can't play it!

I've been playing 'Age Of Empires II HD Edition' a lot recently using crossover and steam, but the other day it's stopped loading.

I can get on Steam with no problems and downloading and install game without issues, but when I try to load 'Age Of Empires II HD Edition' it does nothing.

If I click 'Browse local files' and then double click on the Aok HD.exe it brings up the error: 'SteamAPI_RestartAppIfNecessary() has triggered. Aborting startup.'

If I double click on the 'Launcher.exe' file, it loads then, when you click play the same error message appears: 'SteamAPI_RestartAppIfNecessary() has triggered. Aborting startup.'

I have tried all the suggestions above, but no luck. How can I get this to work again?

Nathanael Filbert wrote:

Hi there, I found this thread and I've been trying to launch Age of
Empires Difinitive Version on my Mac via Crossover and I'm not
getting anywhere. After a restart it seems I get stuck in some sort
of "preloader" (wine32one64 - preloader) that never goes anywhere.
Is anyone else having this trouble? Any ideas what to do? I'm really
bummed that I bought this game and can't play it!

Did you get it to work?

Kieran Sperring wrote:

I've been playing 'Age Of Empires II HD Edition' a lot recently
using crossover and steam, but the other day it's stopped loading.

I can get on Steam with no problems and downloading and install game
without issues, but when I try to load 'Age Of Empires II HD
Edition' it does nothing.

If I click 'Browse local files' and then double click on the Aok
HD.exe it brings up the error: 'SteamAPI_RestartAppIfNecessary() has
triggered. Aborting startup.'

If I double click on the 'Launcher.exe' file, it loads then, when
you click play the same error message appears:
'SteamAPI_RestartAppIfNecessary() has triggered. Aborting startup.'

I have tried all the suggestions above, but no luck. How can I get
this to work again?

I got my issue fixed, but downgrading Crossover to 19.0.1

Hi Anna,
That trick does not seem to be working for me. The play button in Steam lights. After I hit it, in a few seconds it goes back to play. Any other thoughts?

Hi Joseph,

It sounds like the game is failing to launch. My advice was just for getting games to try to launch when the Steam library is black. It sounds like you will need to troubleshoot the specific game launching.

Thanks,
Anna

Any solution?

1 to 20 of 20

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTXIzbkxlQmFRenIzZU1QdyIsImdkcHIiOjB9