CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam not installing

Hi everybody,

Just downloaded the demo for crossover and following the instructions here to get Supreme commander: Forged Alliance running:

https://www.paulthetall.com/supreme-commander-forged-alliance-mac/

However when it comes time to install steam I get an error that Steam is no longer supported on this operating system. It won't install / launch at all. Does anyone have a solution? What sucks is that I already bought the CD key for SC....

The problem is with the CrossTie as it's installing into a Windows XP bottle, which Steam doesn't support anymore.

Try this: open the CrossTie from PaulTheTall in a text editor (Atom, BBEdit, TextEdit, or similar) and find these lines:

<installedkeypattern>Steam App 9420</installedkeypattern>
<bottletemplate>winxp</bottletemplate>

Change only the winxp part to win7, and Steam should now install into a Windows 7 bottle.
CrossOver will show a dialog asking Load untrusted CrossTie file?, but that's because it was edited locally.

Then you can Activate a Product... for Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance on Steam.

Report back if you have any other issues installing the game or if Steam does anything weird.

--mike

Hey Mike thank you.

I got steam and the game installed and running. However when I hit play in my library it just doesn't run.

Hi John.

Hmmm, something is preventing the game running in Steam and we'll try to find out what.

First, we'll prevent Steam from automatically updating itself, which can cause problems later:

1. In CrossOver, Right-Click on the bottle name in the left-hand pane and choose "Open C: Drive" from the pop-up menu.
2. This will open "drive_c" as a folder in the Finder, with the familiar named folders (directories) from Windows.
3. Click through to "Program Files (x86) -> Steam" and open the "Steam" client app folder.
4. In a text editor, create a new plain text file and paste "BootStrapperInhibitAll=Enable" into it (no quotes).
5. Save this file as "Steam.cfg" into the "Steam" client app folder, and now close that Finder window.

Next, we'll tweak a "Library" setting in the Steam client in the new Bottle you created:

1. Open the "Settings" in Steam and choose the "Library" section.
2. Check the boxes for "Low Bandwidth Mode" and "Low Performance Mode" and click "OK".
3. Not necessary, but mildly improves the responsiveness of the Steam "Library".

And, so we know what is installed in the Bottle, could you do the following:

1. Click on the circled "i" beside the Bottle name and screenshot the "Installed Applications".
2. Clip the screenshots to only the relevant part we need, and "Insert Picture" those in a Post reply.

According to this WineHQ AppDB page (below), we may need to install some dependencies:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32687&iTestingId=105645

We're getting closer to making this particular game run.

--mike

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSzRINjdSa2NZOTRibkplQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9