CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Run time errors on Quake

MacOS Big Sur , Crossover 20

I installed Quake from GOG and near the end of the installation I get a consecutive error popups with string of numbers and one of them says global vars error. I have no idea what this mean but the game runs just fine. Is it supposed to be this way or am I doing something wrong?

PurplePi wrote:

MacOS Big Sur , Crossover 20

I installed Quake from GOG and near the end of the installation I get a consecutive error popups with string of numbers and one of them says global vars error. I have no idea what this mean but the game runs just fine. Is it supposed to be this way or am I doing something wrong?

That’s an issue with the GOG installers with older versions of Wine/CrossOver that was resolved later but can be safely ignored.

Thanks for the reply, this is actually not an old version Just the one before the current I believe

PurplePi wrote:

Thanks for the reply, this is actually not an old version Just the one before the current I believe

CX19 = wine-4.12.1
CX20 = wine-5.0
CX21 = wine-6.0

As you can see there’s a big jump between CX20 & CX21 the fix landed around wine-5.5?

Sometimes software version has jumps but there is no real benefit in real world usage. This brings me to a serious CrossOver criticism and that is the pricing model. The current $50 with 0 updates is a bit to rough, one should at least get a year of updates for free. The full price is outrageous at $500. $50 with a full year updates or $150-200 lifetime is more reasonable OR $100 with updates until the next big version is released which is another $100 and this has been the conventional software purchase method.

Am not sure if you are on the development team, but thanks for making this software its like magic! I don't know why some apps work better than others but over all its amazing that at least some work like native!

Does Codeweaver or Wine benefit from Steam's Proton or that only benefits Steam app specifically?

PurplePi wrote:

Sometimes software version has jumps but there is no real benefit in real world usage. This brings me to a serious CrossOver criticism and that is the pricing model. The current $50 with 0 updates is a bit to rough, one should at least get a year of updates for free. The full price is outrageous at $500. $50 with a full year updates or $150-200 lifetime is more reasonable OR $100 with updates until the next big version is released which is another $100 and this has been the conventional software purchase method.

Am not sure if you are on the development team, but thanks for making this software its like magic! I don't know why some apps work better than others but over all its amazing that at least some work like native!

Does Codeweaver or Wine benefit from Steam's Proton or that only benefits Steam app specifically?

Hi there,

CrossOver + is priced at $60, and includes one year of free upgrades. We used to offer a cheaper version (CrossOver One) that included no updates, but that option is no longer offered.

For both CrossOver and Proton, the goal is that all work for both projects goes into upstream Wine first, but both projects also include their own Wine hacks to get certain target applications working better.

Best,
Meredith

Looks like I missed on the offer, I got the 20.0.4 one.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaGR1cVo3SE1BNEtVOGFrOCIsImdkcHIiOjB9