CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

The Witcher 3

I just finished installing The Witcher 3 through steam with the latest version of crossover on a 16' MacBook Pro M1. I am able to launch the game and the opening cinematic plays beautifully. When I go to either launch a new game or load an old one it acts like it will load but then it crashes back to steam. Tried it several times.

Any advice? anyone else come across this? Everything I read says that the Witcher 3 should work great with crossover.

Thanks in advance

Hello. I did install it on the very same computer and it works really well. Did you try rechecking the integrity of the game files or completely reinstalling it ?
Also I noticed that some antivirus might prevent the bottles from being installed properly, so maybe try turning off your antivirus before creating the bottle.
Hope it helps.
Riki

Thanks for the suggestions! Not sure what is wrong. I did the verify files and it said one file needed to be re acquired but it is still crashing when I launch and it gets into about 5 seconds of the loading.

The Witcher3 should be playing just fine as it’s running in my M1 mini without issue. It works using DXVK or even WineD3D Vulkan (slower with some rendering weirdness)

So unless you’ve done something to the CrossOver app or the Bottle this game should be working.

Thanks for the reply. I just installed it so nothing was done with crossover or the bottle. It runs the opening cinematic and load screen perfectly. Then when I launch either a new game or load the game I am on it starts the other cinematic and then quits back to steam. So, it "should" be working but alas it is not. Looking for ideas. Thanks!

Try going into the graphic settings and make sure the Nvidia Hair works options are disabled. Enabling it would crash the game.

I know Witcher 3 always crashes with later versions of MoltenVK unless you set MVK_CONFIG_RESUME_LOST_DEVICE=1 as winemac.drv doesn’t handle remaking the device as per the Vulkan spec (see https://github.com/KhronosGroup/MoltenVK/issues/1562)

As I can only test these titles on my M1 mini I can’t say if this only happens with the M1 GPU or all GPUs on later versions of MoltenVK

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia2FmMnczZGhXNHVxdzJMVCIsImdkcHIiOjB9