CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

What to do if CO/Wine can't find .dll . ocx files?

This seems like a common issue on a few apps which rely on .dlls.

Is it possible manually register them? Does that mean I need to copy each and every dependent dll to the Wine folder?

Yes, you have to get them from somewhere. In general, it is the app's bug, because it has to ship all non-standard DLLs. However, on Windows they're often lucky because some other app installed the DLLs before them.

A common cause of problem is the visual basic runtime. (vb6run*.dll or so.) With some DLLs you can copy them from a Windows computer(check the EULA for legal issues as well), but some DLLs have to be installed in a DLL-specific way. Usually it is the best to see what the DLL is part of and install the package that contains them. For example, in the case of the VB runtime you can download the runtime installer from www.microsoft.com.

And then what? Do I simply copy them to the same folder as the app or do I need to register each and everyone with regsvr32?

This depends on the DLL. In many cases it is enough to copy them to C:\windows\system32 in the bottle, or the app's installation folder. In some cases you have to register them with regsvr32, and in some other cases a special setup application has to run.

I see. I will need to experiment then. Thanks for the help!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOHgyVGhtdFVxRjVuUDZ3eiIsImdkcHIiOjB9