CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Java dependant windows program problem: "Could not create java virtual machine."

Hi,

I am trying to install the java and c/c++ dependant whale shark identification tool on mac (http://www.reijns.com/i3s/faq/I3S_faq.html)

Creating the bottle and installing java before the actual program went smoothly but when launching the program I get the error:
"could not create the java virtual machine
a fatal exception has occurred"

There are fixes around for this problem as it is pretty common but I cannot seem to use these fixes through the bottle. Any ideas of how to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

I'd ask if you're very sure that you installed the Shark ID application into the same bottle where the Java runtime was installed.

I'm on this page:
http://www.reijns.com/i3s/download/I3S_download.html

Got the I3S Classic and... it seems to work. Proof:

Granted, I'm using linux not Mac OS X but I don't believe that it matters in this case.

You know what? I'll submit those apps and create crossties for them once they're added to the C4 database.

Later edit: you may also need to install the Visual C++ 2010 runtime for the search functions, otherwise the programs may crash.

Thanks for your reply! As far as I can tell then yes, java and I3S are installed in the same bottle. Running the I3SCLASSIC.jar directly does not work on mac since it only runs under 32bit Java which is not available for Mac... I guess that would also work in Linux though.

Crossties? I am quite new to this, what would that mean exactly? 😊

The problem probably lies with the memory allocated for the virtual machine. At least in my experience, and my google-fu, this appears to still be the major reason behind such occurences. Oddly, it can be because there is too little memory, or even too much. I can't test this to see if this would work on your Mac, since I am a Linux geek too.

Still, if you use the run command dialog, you could use a similar command as the following:

"/home/your_username/.cxoffice/I3SClassicv4/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Java/jre7/bin/javaw.exe" -Xmx512M -Xms256M -jar "c:/Program Files/I3SCLASSIC/I3SClassic.jar"

on your Mac I think that would be :

"/Library/CrossOver/XP/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Java/jre7/bin/javaw.exe" -Xmx512M -Xms256M -jar "c:/Program Files/I3SCLASSIC/I3SClassic.jar"

I extrapolated the bottle name as being "XP" from the image you posted, so just be aware that "XP" in the later command should be your bottle name. Also, each commands are on one (1) single line, do not try to seperate them. There might be some ajustments depending on the name and location of your bottle. Being a Linux geek, this is the best I can do.

Anyway the two settings "-Xmx512M -Xms256M" are your maximum and minimum memory settings for the virtual machine. The "M" after the numbers is for megabites, and can be replace with "G" for gygabites. The apps does launch on my system with "-Xmx512M -Xms256M", so I suggest you try that first.

EDIT: Corrected some pasting errors, and for better clarity

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVkhmcmZBYnVTUVlaOG5zNiIsImdkcHIiOjB9