CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Using windows printer driver to print in Mac OS?

Hello,

I´am not familiar with the use of Crossover so it´s maybe a silly question but I will try ...

I have an old printer from Canon, it´s a Selphy ES30. For this printer Canon does not provide any drivers for Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite).

Is it possible to use windows drivers with Crossover to print with the Canon printer? So, is it possible to print from a Mac program to the windows drivers within Crossover?

Thanks in advance for any comment.

Tom

No, it won't work. Applications using CrossOver can access printers installed on the "host" OS. Nothing more.

You can try installing Gutenprint, which is a collection of open-source drivers for various, older printers. They seem to have support for your particular printer.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

There might be some gotchas in regards to OS X's changes to Sandboxing. http://sourceforge.net/p/gimp-print/mailman/message/33344820/

There's also this note of the Gutenprint website. Might not be relevant anymore:

Macintosh Users

Macintosh OS X users should download files whose names end in
".dmg". These are pre-built packages that can be installed by
opening the file and following instructions. You can find
information and download links for the latest release at
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

*    Users of printers connected via USB (either directly or

with USB-parallel converters) may want to download
"usbtb-1.0.17.uni.dmg". This is an alternative USB driver that may
provide better performance and functionality with certain printers
and systems. If you are unable to print to a directly connected
printer, or printing stops partway, this driver may solve your
problem. It may also help if your printer is printing extremely
slowly, but there are many reasons why printers may be slow and this
will not resolve all of them. This is also a universal binary.

*    Users of Macintosh OS 10.2 ("Jaguar") who wish to print

from legacy applications that generate PostScript should install
"espgs-7.07.1.ppc.dmg". This is a PPC-only binary. You do not need
to download the source package "espgs-7.07.1-source.tar.bz2".

HI Silvu,

I know the Gutenprint drivers. I have already installed but the driver is not as good as the drivers from Canon. The colors of the pictures are not so good that´s why I´am looking for an alternative.

Thanks for your reply.

Tom

I had an old HP which worked just fine with a driver for a more recent printer. If you test available drivers for Canon printers, you might find a driver for an unrelated, more recent printer, that would actually work with yours. It happens, but your mileage may vary... Stay in the same category, so if your old printer is just a printer (no scanner or fax), try drivers from plain printers...

Did you try installing some of the original drivers from Canon even if they are not meant for OS X 10.10?

Some advice for the future. Try buying printers which support PCL6 or PS (PostScript) or PDF (or all of them) as printer languages. They're rather affordable now and you won't have to care about printer specific drivers or OS version.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWEJOUGRrVUFLYldYSDlUMyIsImdkcHIiOjB9