CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

installing a simple .exe file (no 'installer')

I have installed a handful of windows packages with reasonable success on Mac/Yosemite and Crossover 14.1 but do not claim any expertise.

Can anyone explain how I can install a Windows board game (Arimaa) which is distributed as a .zip file which contains only the executable .exe of the game itself? I tried the 'obvious' unsupported application route, naming the .exe as the installation file, and the process will treat the program .exe as the installer, showing a single instance of the game. Installation doesn't complete until the game is terminated, after which time there is no copy of the Arimaa gave in the designated bottle.

This is not specifically a question about the Arimaa game, but a general question about running a .exe file using Crossover.

I am an old dog and this is a new trick.
David Batten

If you execute the .exe with the crossover (Run) command in Linux fund under tools I'm not sure on a Mac but at the bottom of the run command window there is a button called Create luncher witch will add an entry in the crossover or Mac app luncher.

Thank you Gary. I felt sure there must be a way!

It seems to be working as desired. Another nail in the PC laptop coffin!

Thanks again.

David

A previous thread says,

"1) You can make the bottle your default bottle on the Advanced tab of Manage Bottles. Then, opening a .exe file with CrossOver will run it in that bottle. If CrossOver is the only application which handles .exe files, then you can just double-click the .exe file. If there are other apps, you'll have to use the Finder to configure which app you want to handle .exe files (or even each specific .exe file). "

But that no longer seems to work on the Mac. What does work?

Frequently asked question, there's a tutorial, and it should allow to do what you want:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/run_only

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaGhjZXl2NGZhZGJXdndDZyIsImdkcHIiOjB9