CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover 13.2 / Python "Import problems" ...

Hi all,

First: I supported Codeweavers and Crossover for many years til the newer versions do not work on my 10.6.8 anymore. My subscription was til march 2015.

Crossover 13.2 is installed, registered and worked fine. Now i updated Phyton to the last 2-version 2.7.10 with the macinstaller from the python website.
With a little shell-work i made this newer version to current, with all files nessesary like for 2.6 before. The shell gets the right path and it works.

But Crossover does not work anymore. It starts with a failure: "failed to import cxutils module into Python".

Sorry for my question in the forum, but i found no information/FAQ to fix this. Can anybody help please?

Thank you.

Ulrich

Next try. I've deleted all whats related to crossover now, app, preferences, bottles, cd-helper ... I cleaned caches etc. and made a restart.

Then i took the last "installer" for 10.6.8 (version 13.2) i got trough my payed support acount and copyed Crossover to applications folder. At the first new start of the application the same dialog and end of all: "failed to import cxutils module into Python"

Please help. What is the problem and how can i fix it?

Thank you.

I'm sorry you're not getting much of a response. What you have is a "chicken and egg" problem with CrossOver and python.

CrossOver 13.2 is compiled to run with an older version of python (2.4? I'm sorry, I can't remember the exact version). It's the version that shipped with Snow Leopard because at one time, CrossOver was compiled on Snow Leopard to help keep compatibility with older versions of the MacOS. With CrossOver 10, we dropped support for Tiger, then with 12 we dropped support for Leopard. With CrossOver 14, we dropped support for Snow Leopard and moved to a more modern build environment.

CrossOver 14's drop of support for Snow Leopard is more significant than the others. Snow Leopard is the last version of the OS that will run on older intel-based Macs. We have several in-house that are upgraded as far as they will go, 10.6.8; these systems do not meet the requirements to upgrade further. I assume your system is the same.

I also assume this is why you updated your python version, because some application, somewhere, depended on a newer python version. Because you can't update your OS, I presume you updated python to keep compatibility.

This is likely what broke CrossOver 13.2. It has to have the older version of python to run.

The good news is, CrossOver 14 may run on your system (your account should allow you to download CrossOver 14). The bad news is, you're in a state where if it doesn't, there's not much we can do to help.

Our sincerest apologies.

Thank you for your answer. I could upgrade to a newer system and newer Crossover. But Apple was to fast in marketing and updates in the last years and i have some old software, which needs rosetta 😉

I will try to "activate" Python 2.6 again, that was the current version before the update. Thanks.

Ulrich

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR1pTZjV2d0VOYWRma1J2diIsImdkcHIiOjB9