CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam issues with 14.1.4

I've been having issues with Medieval II Total War in CrossOver 14.1.4 [Steam Version]. I downgraded to 13.2 and the game runs perfectly. However, upgrading to 14.x.x leads to it crashing. The app loads, but crashes with an "unspecified error" on the main menu. I tried using paulthetall's crosstie with no luck.

I emailed tech support and they said this app is unsupported, which is a dumb response. It worked in 13.2 but not now. Even with a fresh install. Something is fishy and I'm wondering if people have any insight.

Thanks.

My sincerest apologies for the response. We are very interested in clear cut regressions and fixing them. As such, I have some questions.

I have filed a bug in our tracker for this issue. It is bug number 13179, though that number won't mean much.

Are you using the same bottle when you downgrade to CrossOver 13.2? As in, are you doing a fresh install to see positive results or do you have to perform a fresh install of Medieval II: Total War?

If you are performing a fresh install each time, are you following the same method?

You said you tried using paulthetall's crosstie, does that mean you started out with a different installation method?

Also, I did not see mention of the graphics card in your system in your ticket.

What graphics card is in your Mac?

To find this, go to the Apple icon in the upper left corner. Then choose "About this Mac" and then click "System Report...". Look for "Graphics/Displays" and report any card or cards listed there.

Hi Caron,

Thanks. I have the late 2013 MPBr with dedicated Nvidia graphics card.

As for installation, I've tried everything - fresh install, copy install, paul's crosstie (i.e., a different method), literally everything. It's definitely a graphics issue, some I'm wondering if it's something to do with DirectX or Direct3D.

One difference between 13.2 and 14.1 is the integration of Wine commit e9b0a0e18. That one changed the way the capabilities are detected of graphics cards that are unknown by Wine. In practice, this means that on OS X, all unknown graphics cards right now are detected as having 128MB video ram, which causes many games to quickly run out of video ram and crash. I had the same problem with other games when upgrading (it's solved in the mean time for me, because I submitted a patch to wine so it now recognises my video card).

The original author of that patch acknowledged the problem (https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2014-November/105823.html ) and later submitted patches to solve that problem (https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2014-November/135768.html and following), but they were rejected by Wine/CodeWeavers maintainers because once OpenGL Core Context support are implemented, that workaround won't be necessary anymore (https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2014-November/105906.html and following).

The practical upshot and workaround: if you have a card that's unknown by wine on OS X, for now you will have to manually set the amount of video ram in the registry for every bottle. See https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/videomemorysize for how to do that (replace the 512 with the number of megabytes of VRAM you have).

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWDNNRXdBbXdidldRVFRoVCIsImdkcHIiOjB9