CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

What is the point of Crossover?

I am a new user, and I'm not being flippant when I ask, what is the point of Crossover?
I mean it lists about 30(!!) officially supported games, and other software like Office all of which can easily be run in Parallels or other VM software.
I tried running stuff like GOG Galaxy, Witcher and others, but just get constant crashing and error messages.
What is Crossover's reason for existing?

Running a VM usually means the user needs a licensed copy of Windows. More than that, you need to allocate resources to that VM (like how many cores it can use, how much RAM) which remain allocated for as long as the VM is running.

Wine (which CrossOver uses internally) lets Windows applications behave like they are running natively on the host system. Memory is allocated dynamically, 3D performance is usually much better than running games in a VM. Applications start faster since you don't have to wait for Windows to boot up and then load your program(s)

Now, is it 100% compatible with Windows? Nope. Does everything work as it would on Windows? Nope. This being said, I've already played a lot of games from my GOG and Steam library by simply using CrossOver. For example, for a long long time I've been playing Borderlands 2 on my Linux machine by using CrossOver. There were no OS X or Linux ports. CrossOver (or vanilla wine or PlayOnLinux) are the only ways to play any of Blizzard's games on Linux. They have OS X ports of their newer games but how many of the old games, which ran on PowerPC Macs, run on Intel Macs?

Direct3D 11 is being baked for Wine and chances are we'll be able to take advantage of that as well later this year.

To paraphrase Silviu, empirical evidence is not to be mistaken with subjective experience. Your software and games might not be running as desired, but it doesn't mean that will be the experience of other users. Crossover is a fine product, which in my case, allows me the opportunity to avoid entirely the use of Windows in most situations.

Just so you know, I have ran, among others, MS Office 2007, Star Craft 2 and Skyrim. As for games, Star Craft ran flawlessly to the point where you couldn't tell it wasn't on windows. Skyrim ran with only a few minors glitches, that didn't really impede gameplay. I don't run MS Office anymore, Libre Office doing a fine job of late, but it was very stable for me.

The "point", in my case, is to avoid dual-booting with another OS or having to deal with a VM as much as possible.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiM2JlQ3I1NkVwOE5rYWM1MiIsImdkcHIiOjB9