CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

[Fix] Videos in Japanese Video Games

If you like playing Japanese video games, you sure have noticed, whether visual novels or RPGs, they love using videos that CrossOver and Wine cannot play. The fix for CrossOver is rather simple:

1. Create an XP bottle
  2. Install Windows Media Player 10 with the CrossTie at: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/windows-media-player-10
  3. Install DirectX 9 (it is very important that you don't install Microsoft DirectX Runtime - Modern)

That's it, run your game and you will notice that video now plays perfectly.

It would be great if other users could post here games, that this fix has worked for, to make a nice little list for future reference. (Also, if someone can confirm it also works on linux, that'd be appreciated)

List: (so far)

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1
NEKOPARA Vol. 1

If you have a moment it could help out future users if you posted this in the forums for these app as well.

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/forum/hyperdimension-neptunia-re-birth1

Where do you install directX to? When i try to install it asks me where to place it. Do i install it in crossover folder or the individual game I am trying to run. Are you installing windows media player into the game menu or crossover in general? Thanks for the info

No, you first have to create a new Windows XP bottle.

Then you go here:
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/windows-media-player-10
And click on "Install Now"

That will open the CrossOver Software Installer window. In that window look for "Will install into a new Windows XP bottle 'Windows Media Player 10'. Click there and instead choose the bottle you created previously.

Once Media Player is installed, right click on the bottle you created and choose "Install Software into '<bottle you created>'. Scroll down to "Runtime Support Components" and select "DirectX 9".

Ok so I have done all that but it's the next step I am confused about. I have school days HQ installed in crossover. Even before I followed your directions to make a new XP bottle it would switch between playing video and going to black screen with text only. So after making the window XP bottle I ran school days as I had previously but it still ran the same. So do I have to reinstall the game into the new windows XP bottle or run it through the new XP bottle, or is just having the windows XP bottle installed supposed to help play the videos in the other games I have? I am attaching a picture so you can see what it looks like. Thanks I really want this to work as I just got into VNs and like you said I have found I have issues with the best ones. If I can get school days and shiny days to run with all video showing I will be so happy. Thanks.image

Delete the bottles you tried to use to play School Days. I posted a video in the forum for the game, which shows step by step how to get the game working:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/forum/school-days-hq?msg=176839

dude you are the man worked perfectly thanks so much! now if i want to install another game like cross days should I make a new bottle following the same instructions or install it into the school days one and just select cross days when I want to play it? thanks again!

So unfortunately starless didn't work with this method the game opens but the screen is all messed up and just flashes repeatedly while music plays in background. Saya no Uta still only shows black screen and plays sound. Shiny days however works just as well as school days. No luck with little witch romanesque either.

I did get muv luv alternative working just using crossover normally but for some reason muv luv unlimited won't install. Not complaining though.

I tend to create a bottle for each game, since each game needs different tricks to run properly.

Posted a howto for Littlewitch Romanesque on the forum for the game:
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/forum/littlewitch-romanesque?msg=176984

I'll test the other games you mentioned, later.

Cool. The others I really would like to get working are fate/stay night and ever17

Well you did if again little witch is running perfect. I will say that I have changed to legacy X on a couple other games I couldn't see images on and that never worked before. Not sure which ones as I have tried quite a few that haven't worked. But anyway thanks again. Like I said before you are the man.

i tried to use this for the steam version of Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1, and when i open the game through steam, i hear audio, but theres no game. dose this not work with steam at all?

Brendan theriault wrote:

i tried to use this for the steam version of Hyperdimension Neptunia
Re;Birth 1, and when i open the game through steam, i hear audio,
but theres no game. dose this not work with steam at all?

It does work with steam.

Erik Petersen wrote:

I did get muv luv alternative working just using crossover normally
but for some reason muv luv unlimited won't install. Not complaining
though.

I got the installer for Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative working by starting crossover in japanese locale:
LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 /opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover

After the installation I still have to start it with japanese locale:
LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 "/home/user/.cxoffice/MUVLUV_EXTRA/desktopdata/cxmenu/Desktop.C^5E3A_users_crossover_Desktop/Muv-Luv+Alternative+DVD+Ver..lnk"

Of course you have to have japanese locale installed.

How cool is that! Thank you for sharing it man!

1 to 15 of 15

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTTZaYWVDQk5KY0xudFpHSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9