CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

A bunch of wine-preloader processes are throttling my CPU when running Steam

Hey guys, I've been noticing my CPU usage completely maxed out by these wine-preloader processes every time I run a game on Steam. I'm on OSX Mojave and running crossover 18.5, but have the same issue on the newest version of Crossover too. All of the screens within the program are black and unpopulated too, so I've been launching games via the taskbar. Is there any way to make this program functional?

Games are the most CPU intensive applications so it's normal.
You can check in MacOs Activity Monitor app the CPU and memory usage. If you run any native Aspyr or Feral Mac game it will also maximize all of the available resources.
Wineloaders are just small part of the magic behind the scene making possible running Windows apps directly on Mac.

Thanks for the comment. Yeah I was checking it out in activity monitor - there were roughly 8 of those processes, and 4 of them were higher than 70 percent CPU usage. Two were at 100 percent. My computer was getting pretty loud at times so I was concerned. Surely that amount of usage can't be normal? I've run the same game on the same machine not too long ago with no issues, so I figured this was some sort of bug with Steam or Crossover.

If those wineloader processes are running even after you quit CrossOver than restarting Mac can help.
Otherwise you can try the game in a new clean bottle.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRXdoUks1NlhLRnRjOGQydiIsImdkcHIiOjB9