CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Rebuild list of programs from users/crossover/Start Menu/Programs ?

Version 21.1 (21.1.0.33869)
Bottle: Win7 64-bit

There's currently a bug where when you try to install DirectX for Modern Games into a bottle, it for some reason completely "clears out" your list of programs that you had installed (for example, Steam, and every game that was installed with it).

Shortcuts for all these programs are still in the directory, "Bottles/Steam/drive_c/users/crossover/Start Menu/Programs/Steam". Is there a way for CrossOver to rebuild the list of programs based on the contents of that directory?

I know about the ability to add a custom shortcut, but I really don't want to have to do that for every single program I've already installed.

I would have thought that the menu item "Clear and Rebuild Programs" would do this, however it does not. I'm actually not quite sure what that does?

Hi there,

I'm not seeing the issue with installing DirectX for Modern Games messing with launchers. Clear and Rebuild Programs affects the launchers are stored in <user name>/Applications/CrossOver.

Best,
Meredith

I am going to try and detail all the steps for me that get to this result, but it does seem it revolves around this error message that I get just when trying to install "DirectX For Modern Games" into a new empty Windows 10 64-bit bottle:

The ‘<cxaiemisc.AIEPreAssoc object at 0x118c3ad60>’ task failed.
cxassoc:error: an error occurred while scanning the Windows associations
Continuing with the install may produce unpredictable results.

Options are cancel installation, skip this step, or try again.

If I skip, it appears to continue working fine. But I believe during this error is when it loses the list of programs.

Rather - the previous comment is the error I get when I begin the install for "DirectX for Modern Games".

After it is done installing, then it gives this similar but different error:

The ‘Refreshing the associations’ task failed.
cxassoc:error: an error occurred while scanning the Windows associations
Continuing with the install may produce unpredictable results.

Same options. Trying again does nothing. Skipping here causes the listed programs to go away.

Ah here's the log!

I pasted it here (couldn't get it formatted right for this forum): https://pastebin.com/ZyeDbYEA

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVWhZZ0ZzcllhVFllYllrYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9