CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Anybody able to play Darksiders - Warmastered Edition with CrossOver?

Has anybody been able to play Darksiders - Warmastered Edition with CrossOver?

I'm using the latest version of CrossOver (21.1) and it doesn't crash but the framerate is between 15-20 fps regardless of the resolution. The audio also stutters even in the menu when the framerate is around 120 fps (ie. ProMotion).

I'd prefer not to use Parallels due to the overhead so I'm wondering if anybody else is playing this game?

Ary you using a M1 based Mac?

Then yes, performance of older games is abysmal vs. using Parallels. I'm saying this as a staunch (and supporting) CrossOver user. I just renewed my subscription, because I like CodeWeavers to be able to continue developing CrossOver and Wine.

But the sad truth is that currently Parallels offers far superior performance over CrossOver for certain games (the ones I tried) on M1 Macs. I hope CodeWeavers will be fixing this, and I'm pretty sure they will. That is why I'm still supporting them.

Yeah, that's really surprising because Parallels should have a ton of extra overhead (right?).

By the way, are you using Windows 10/11 ARM with Parallels or Windows 10/11 x64?

This is most likely due to the most recent Mac OSs not supporting 32bit. As far as I know this is being worked on but may take time to improve.

Not necessarily. I'm running Win 11 ARM 64 Bit (Parallels only supports ARM OS's on M1 Macs). And, yes, this could have something to do with the new 64 to 32 Bit translation, but I think this is only part of the story, since Intel Macs seem to run the same applications much better.

Be interesting to know for sure. I’m on M1 and anything 32bit that’s not too old struggles while fine in Parallels, seen reports of Intel’s seeing similar but not much more detail than that. These Intel Macs Catalina and above?

I'm having trouble especially with older applications from the 'Noughts like Deus Ex : Invisible War or the original Splinter Cell. Old games that should run like they're on Nitro. But instead they run like a 40 year old Diesel truck, if not worse.

With newer games, it seems to be hit and miss. For instance, Grim Dawn runs tolerable, even in higher resolutions, but Valheim either runs ok, but missing a lot of the scenery and your character (DX, mouse control is unusable) or rendering everything, but very, very, very slowly (VK) in just 2-3 fps. Interface lags like hell (5-10 seconds).

So, I think there's a lot going on right now that doesn't work very well and it is adding up. It's not just one particular item, IMHO, but I could be dead wrong. We'll have to see what the guys and gals from CodeWeavers find out.

Parallels made a huge jump in graphics performance from the pre-release to release, so I think it is possible that CodeWeavers can do the same with CrossOver.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic0IyR2NSZFVQZVRhUlBKTCIsImdkcHIiOjB9